• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dual 1400 20s

gregary

Just finished flipping the hubs and mounting the 1400s. My duece is not bobbed but I moved the single rear axle back. I wanted the 4 wheel drive but did not want to loose the use of the drop side bed. Anyway, I don't like the look of the back tires, look too narrow, they don't fill up the huge space. My question is, has anybody dualled the rear using two 1400.20s? Custom wheels maybee or different lug studs and nuts with a spacer between the wheels? Looks like it might be possible if you don't flip the hubs.

nhdiesel

Well lets see. Taking it one thing at a time, custom wheels are probably out because that would also move the inside wheels closer to the frame, which isn't a good idea. Just using some type of longer wheel stud with a spacer would put a lot of stress on the studs.

I think IF someone were to come up with something to be able to run large tires in a dual setup, it would require an actual fabricated spacer assembly. What I'm picturing would be one of two things, depending on how much space is needed. For a small amount of space (maybe up to an inch and a half or so), use a machined steel plate, which bolts to the lugs after the inside wheel is installed. Then the plate has 6 studs installed on it (indexed offset from the 6 mounting holes) for the outer wheel to mount to. If you look on ebay for wheel adapters or wheel spacers, you will find many for passenger vehicles like this.

If you needed more room than this, I think a welded assembly consisting of an inside steel plate with 6 holes, a spacer ring, then an outer, thicker steel plate with 6 studs installed.

The downside of using spacers is that depending on how far the outer tire gets moved out, it can put more stress on the hubs and bearings. This isn't as much of an issue if the truck is built as a pleasure vehicle and won't be loaded to max. capacity.

Just a few thoughts.

Jim

Biggles

I have seen a giant lifted ford something rother custom built show truck thing that had 52" Michelin's mounted in dual on a 2.5 ton rockwell all he used was custom wheels I think maybe flipping the hubs to get your inside tire away form the frame and custom wheels to get your spacing between tires would work. But I can't even pretend to know what that would do as far as putting stress on the hubs and such and your tires would stick out from under the truck too.

Biggles

my ultimate goal is to put the biggest tires on my deuce that I can but I don't want to go to super singles. so if you have any luck or good ideas turn up I'd love to see it.

Biggles

those firestone T831's are probably what I'm going to go with just because I won't have to modify anything but I'd like to do something much more dramatic (and expensive) but I think my wife is already beginning to get jealous of my truck..........:???:

gregary

dual 1400s

Thanks for the input guys. Would 1-1/2 inch space between the tires be enough to prevent rubbing with a moderate load. Also, has anyone tried mounting the inside wheel between the back side of the hub face and the brake drum, then redrilling the hub and use longer studs to accomodate a 3 inch spacer for the outside wheel. Just thinking about a 3 inch spacer makes me cringe though. Maybee a custom spacer with it's own studs would be stronger. Also, what's the downside if I just run singles and don't flip the hubs? That would push the tire out and maybe look better. I know that would make the rear track wider than the front , but does that cause a steering problem?

nhdiesel

Before even trying to think what kind of spacer to use, you will need to get a tire that you want mounted up on a wheel you want to use. Then lay the tire flat on the floor and check the wheel mounting surface of the rim. Is it touching the floor? Most likely the answer is no, because the larger tire is much wider and is bulging past the wheel. So now measure how far from the wheel surface to the floor. Double that, accounting for 2 wheels. Now add in whatever you decide is a safe distance between dual tires.

This is now the thickness of the spacer you will need.

Here is a thought. I was just reading in another thread how the early Deuces used riveted wheels. The centers were riveted to the wheel. You might be able to get a set of those and modify them by having the centers moved, changing the backspacing of the wheels, eliminating the need for spacers. You would be limited in how far they could be moved, but you might be able to gain some room between the tires that way.

Jim

Biggles

Before even trying to think what kind of spacer to use, you will need to get a tire that you want mounted up on a wheel you want to use. Then lay the tire flat on the floor and check the wheel mounting surface of the rim. Is it touching the floor? Most likely the answer is no, because the larger tire is much wider and is bulging past the wheel. So now measure how far from the wheel surface to the floor. Double that, accounting for 2 wheels. Now add in whatever you decide is a safe distance between dual tires.

This is now the thickness of the spacer you will need.

Here is a thought. I was just reading in another thread how the early Deuces used riveted wheels. The centers were riveted to the wheel. You might be able to get a set of those and modify them by having the centers moved, changing the backspacing of the wheels, eliminating the need for spacers. You would be limited in how far they could be moved, but you might be able to gain some room between the tires that way.

Jim

You have to also remember that the tire laying flat on the floor is not going to bulge out as much as when it's on the truck so take that into account. I don't know how much difference it will make but the tire definately bulges more under load than when laying on it's side and you'd hate for your super expensive one off custom made spacer to be 1/4" too narrow.