• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual 14R20 on 5 ton

Scout

Here are some pics. Didn't get stuck today, but wheeled it pretty good. Wouldn't want to be the next guy dealing with those ruts. Tried to show the offset situation. Fronts come out pretty much flush with the fenders - rears are sucked in somewhat. I think not flipping the hubs and running the rims inverted would push them out another 3/4", but i don't like how exposed the valve stems end up with the rims installed backwards.

Attachments

FlatlinesUp

some pics of m818 doing things i never would have thought, pulled 1500 tons of wood in 5 days down some of the worst roads i have ever been on

lol that looks like some of the trails they call roads around here too...

truck looks awsome doing what it ought to be doing. [thumbsup]

derby

Scout, You do not want to switch the inner and outer bearings. if that is what you were saying. the inside diameter is differant....... ask me how I know!

some pics of m818 doing things i never would have thought, pulled 1500 tons of wood in 5 days down some of the worst roads i have ever been on
Thats cool to see it get used for a purpose and not just to have. So if and when the gov. decides they aren't going to sell the civi's anymore surplus we can take pics like this and say hey we do have a good reason for wanting these trucks so keep em comin.:-D

Scout

Scout, You do not want to switch the inner and outer bearings. if that is what you were saying. the inside diameter is differant....... ask me how I know!
I had to switch them to flip the hub. The inner bearing has a larger ID than the outer. OD is the same. What am I missing? You can't slide the hub onto the splindle with the outer bearing placed on the inside - it won't fit - too small.

I did read where someone had a truck that someone had placed two inner bearings on the same hub.

davesgmc

i ahve a set, all 10, bridge truck wheels and worn out ndts sitting behind the shop rotting away...wheels are still perfect,,,still need wheels? I am in kansas. let me know

bigjuice69

hey master logger i got acess to bridge trucks with tires and wheels and axles frames are complete motors are junk. axles are wider and further apart more springs i heard. need more info call kurt 701-302-0224 ps: going to look at them jan. 28-2010:beer:

reb87

You need to consider a 915 series 6x6 ie 916 or 920. The tandem is rated 56000 lbs and with 16.00R20 tires (rated 14500 single) you wont be overloading stuff. You will enjoy the 400 horse and jake brake. Transfercase is air activated and you can turn it on to help make turns instead of waiting for the sprag to kick in. Here is my m919 8x6 beside my m915 6X4.

Attachments

Victor

Master Logger,
I can't help with info, but I'm curious.
What the heck are you hauling that weighs 25 tons? Trees?
Got any pictures of a truck loaded like that?
Here is some 120,000 lb truck with load. If it red oak can reach up to 150,000lb

just to try a few combos
i have put a super single rim on and a rim for a 14-20 just to see what kind of clearance , i will need a 1.5-2" spacer and longer thimbles.
but i got in a tight and had to put a 1100-24.5 on the inside and the 14-20 on the outside, there was a 3" differ but at least i had duals.
this truck went to work last Friday and will have loads that weigh 50,000 lbs on bad roads.
according to Michelin manuals for 14r20:
max speed = 50MPH
overall diameter = 48.8"
overall width = 15"
approved rims = 10" (wide)
min. dual spacing = 16.8" (on center)
rev per mile = 428
max. load on tire = 11,000 lb @ 115PSI (single) or 10,200 lb @ 115PSI (dual)

Another words, according to Michelin you need spacer 6.8"; you can use singles for pavement, but off road you can NOT.

2) The drums are bolted on and safety-wired. I did not have safety wire and wanted to get the job done so I used loc-tite compound (not sure if that was a good idea or not)...

If anyone thinks I did any no-no's above, please chime in. This is the first time I've done this and have not driven the truck much since. I don't have any apparent leaks or issues.
If you used Locktite 242(blue) the temperature of release (melting) is about 250-300*F. It is VERY bad idea to use this one on any where close to drums. I would reinstall at ones.:rolleyes:

You need to consider a 915 series 6x6 ie 916 or 920. The tandem is rated 56000 lbs and with 16.00R20 tires (rated 14500 single) you wont be overloading stuff. You will enjoy the 400 horse and jake brake. Transfer case is air activated and you can turn it on to help make turns instead of waiting for the sprag to kick in. Here is my m919 8x6 beside my m915 6X4.
M920 :beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks