• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual action fuel pump

zout

Is there any vendor that sells a FULL rebuild kit for the dual action fuel pump on the M38A1 ?.
Calls made today only have kits for fuel side and not vacuum side and I am not willing to toss $159 for a rebuilt one out the window quite yet when the labor costs to rebuild can be mine and not someone else to do it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Attachments

modified

"Then and Now Automotive"
Antique Auto Parts Cellar

be wary of the rebuild kit rubber-material pkg by other vendors. The concern is that most buna-n and neoprene type rubbers are susceptible to fatigue and accelerated failure when used with current Ethanol -based fuel, i.e; E-10 and E-15.

Read the 4 pages of info provided on the link, very informative. I've used there rebuild, really nice kit and comes with correct replacement screws/fasteners.

Militoy

Is the M38 fuel/vacuum pump the same one as used on the CJ3A? I have a 49 3A that was an interim National Guard vehicle - puchased out of PDO before GL screwed the pooch. It picked up quite a few M38 parts while it was in service - as many "hodgepodge" Jeeps did. I switched over to a single-stage pump, since I couldn't find a rebuild kit for the vacuum style pump I was happy with, nor a replacement pump that would last more than a few months in our desert conditions. I'd love to go back to the original 2-way pump.

ohiomgman

I have used, Then and Now's, fuel pump kits to rebuild many fuel pumps for MV's. Top notch. I just rebuilt the pump on one of my M38's and one for my wingman's M37 Dodge... T&N's kits even include all new check valves for both the fuel and the air side of the dual action pumps.

Last edited:

zout

I eventually got the full kit for fuel & vacuum from this fella:
houghton@classicpreservation.com

Also after much fustration I sent the diaphrams to him for both fuel & vacuum and he pressed the purchased kits into them - the rest of the assembly I rebuilt on the bench here - but it was a full kit for BOTH sides not just the fuel side.

He did rebuild the diaphrams very cheap - think it was like $7 each plush shipping and sent him the diaphrams that I bought from him.