• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Alts - some pics

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug,

Somehow I missed this entire thread over the holidays. Have you noticed any change
when running the truck?
Big change - all my 12 volt chit works now!

:)

Nothing else. No power loss from the extra alt - even the steep uphill into camp was the same.

frodobaggins

Looks good man. Only thing I might do is use a bigger relay. But if you aren't often or for very long using more than 50 amps continuous you should be good to go. Wanna come do mine ?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would I have to power to suck down 50 AMPS?

I really didn't do all that much on mine - soldier B did. I would send him over, but he is working off a 50 dollar iPhone LCD repair bill right now. I got him hooked up with a landscaping gig - CLOSE to home.

8)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug, yours looks good. I have a set of the brackets and will be doing mine first chance I get.

sw

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dual alt, three battery setup just saved me from calling for help. Today's mission was to go to the local mega church and transport tables and chairs to the fire station for our Troop's big Breakfast With Santa fundraiser going on this Saturday. Two years ago we moved everything easily with the deuce, last year I was down with a bad back and it took three pickups.

We got the load hauled and unloaded just fine. I moved the deuce into a dirt parking area near the fire station after the offload so I wasn't blocking the third fire truck since this was an active station today (they rotate them here or something). It wasn't a huge concern since the third truck is the oldest and hasn't been on a run in awhile they say, but just on the safe side I parked out of the way while we stored the tables and chairs neatly.

The scouts took off and soldier B and I stayed and chatted with the guys at the station for a couple minutes until they got called out to support an ambulance or something.

When we went to fire up the deuce all I got was clicking. The front tire was in a small rut, the two of us weren't push starting this thing ourselves.

A voltage check showed one battery at 9.8 volts. The other was 12.6. There was some corrosion on the weaker battery (both actually but more on the weaker one). We cleaned everything up and tried to start it, but no luck.

Finally I just swapped the nearly new battery from the 12 volt system with the dead battery on the 24 volt side. I didn't check for voltage on the third battery since the volt meter was already put up and it was either gonna work or it wasn't.

Once the swap was made she fired up and got us going no problem. I'll have soldier B check the weak battery to see if the ride in the 12 volt side and cleaning the connections helped. If not I'll throw it on my smart charger to see if I have a dead cell. Water levels in both 24 volt side batteries were good.

Dual alts vs convertors have been discussed to death and both have good points. I was happy with Tm America's set up when I got it and I'm even more happy today.

:grd:

srodocker

AWESOME DUG!!!

have you had to jump start anyone in there cars yet with the 12v setup?

i just bought the alt and belt for the setup. so now i just need to put it in! lol

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't power much - 4 heated mirrors which get light use, windshield wipers, windshield washer, the slow side of my heater (24 volts powers the fast side), and a couple of accessory plugs for phones, gps, etc.

Everything is switched off with the ignition switch, so I added one accessory plug that is wired directly to the battery so I can recharge my phone overnight if I'm on a trip.

tm america

The price is 60.95 with shipping..I tried to relist it but i think the mods are playing a joke on me..It said i couldn't post a new ad till i have at least 100,000 posts? wow does anyone have 100,000 posts?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you hook it up to the factory Deuce switch, and how? Thanks Jim
I swapped out the stock alt for a one wire so I had an extra wire that is ignition switched left over. If you look at the third pic you will see the relay I used to turn the 12 volt side on and off. In another post I gave the specs for it and price - a quick search should turn it up if you're interested.

If you keep the stock alt you could probably Y off of that wire to a relay, but you might want to get a second opinion from TM America or anyone smarter with electrical than me.

Never had any problems so far and the set up actually saved me when one of my main batteries died. I swapped the 12 volt system battery in and all was good. The pretty much dead battery is now installed on the 12 volt side, but since I don't power heavy loads and it doesn't start the truck, I should be able to milk it awhile.

EDIT - Relay is in post one of this tread.

tm america

You could use the small wire that has weather tight connector to a 24 volt relay to turn on the 12 volt alt .. or you can go with a one wire 12 volt alt or just run the red wire from the two wire plug on the 12 volt at to the main lug on the 12 volt alt .. With the wire red wire run to the main lug the alt will act like a one wire alt..but it won't kick the voltage regulator in to turn the alt on untill the alt hits 3000 rpm shaft speed which with the ratio of the pulleys is pretty much right at idle for the multifuel..SO there is no need to switch the 12 volt alt unless you want to be able to turn it off for a little fuel saving and to free up a few hp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks