• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual battery setup?

Milbikes

My M882 has a nice big second battery tray. I'd like to have the ability to operate an electric winch on a trailer, and a dual battery setup seems like a good idea to me. There are brackets on the engine for a second alternator that is no longer there. Could I charge both batteries off of the existing single alternator, or should I put in a second alternator? Hooking up a second battery is no problem for me to do (Being a Chevy diesel owner), but wiring in a second alternator might make my head throb. Thanks for any tips. H.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
usually just one alternator for what you are talking about. Any camper or trailer place would have install kits for a second battery.

The M882 originally had 3 batteries, two on a large tray on the passenger side that were kept charged by a 28v generator which was mounted low on the drivers side. This was for the radio equipment.
One on the drivers side, charged by the alternator mounted on the passenger side.

Elwenil

Two batteries can be installed on the stock battery tray if the stock battery is turned 90° and new hold downs are fabricated. Alternatively you can also grab a junkyard or universal battery tray and modify it to mount on the passenger side. I made my own bracket out of an old bed frame to hold two large batteries:

If I had it to do over again I would mount both batteries on the passenger side to help take some of the weight off the driver side which already has the driver, fuel tank, steering system, master cylinder and booster, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks