• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dual circuit brake system

mikew

Oddshot,

Make sure to post pictures of your build!

I'd like to put dual/split brakes on my truck and as you have, I've been gathering info about the dual brake system.

Here's what I think I know about the A3 system.

The air packs are the standard deuce ones.

I believe a valid part number for the master cylinder is: Bendix 11999 or Raybestos MC39577

This crosses to a NAPA TS108038, TS108002 and UP39577.

This is a dual circuit master cylinder with 1 3/4" bore used on Ford B600 buses in 1984-1985, about $150.

The pressure differential switch "seems" to be the exact same one used on.... wait for it...... an early '70s AMC Javelin! I've not found a part number or source for this, but just about any differential switch would work. It's plumbed between the master cylinder and air packs.

One of the air tanks has a baffle installed, dividing it into two separate tanks. I think using the stock air setup would be fine, you could lose boost but you'd still have brakes.

The air drier is an off-the-shelf Midland / Haldex "Pure Air Plus".

oddshot

Now for a quick word to NUBE or INTERMEDIATE mechanics:

IF you are going to attempt to up grade your Deuce brakes or repair ANY steel brake lines …

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

You WILL be dealing with VERY high pressures inside these systems.

Learn to put DOUBLE FLAIR ENDS on your brake lines … or buy new lines of the correct length that have already been double flared.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use rubber hoses and hose clamps, single flares or any other type of low pressure techniques to join parts in a braking system.

Cheap kit flaring:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNePrGR1D-s&feature=related[/media]

Expensive Hydraulic kit flaring:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9uAMe5dLkU&feature=related[/media]

ALSO … it would behoove the nube or intermediate mechanic to read up a little on brake system operations.

This article on wickopedia is a good START:
Hydraulic brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least the WISE mechanic would see that there is a LOT to brake systems that he might not know… and BETTER learn about before attempting back-yard up grades.

And remember kiddies:

A collision at sea ... will just WRECK your day

oddshot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks