• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Fuel Tanks

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not done so yet. But on other civy trucks, yes. I like to have the filler neck come out at the rear wheel well. It is hidden from view, which means no sheet metal work to fill the tank. There is a standard passenger side fuel tank that is available. Don't forget the skid plate.

You can even put a medium sized fuel tank at the rear of the truck, but you have to remove all the spare tire holder stuff and relocate the spare tire to the bed or some place else. Again, I used to use the passenger side wheel well to have the filler neck hidden, but easily reached for filling.

A buddy of mine used all three tank (gas, not diesel) and could hold just over seventy gallons. Realize you ARE adding extra weight when you do this and take that into account.

91W350

I would think adding a M1009 tank to the rear would be a great increase in fuel capacity. You would have to move the spare though. It is takes around 8 hours to burn one full tank of fuel, what kind of long off road adventure are you planning for?

cjkeeliii

I looked in the forums-AGAIN-and unless I'm missing something, I don't see a lot of how-to posts. Can anyone point me to how this can be done? I'd like the installaton to be as if it came from the factory-as much as possible.

xenocath

searching.............
my stepson has a civy model 86 4x4 that is currently in pieces , if you would like i can try and take pics of his dual tank set up and and send em to you i was scoping it out the other day while removing his t case and it does not look real complicated to add another tank i might do it to my truck soon

cjkeeliii

Thanks xenocath. Could you also photo the switch that activates the different tanks and its location in the cab? It would give me an idea of what I need to do. Thanks alot.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one thing to remember with the rear in place of spare tank is a rear ender, this could cause a riped open tank, also with the extra weight behind the axle, the rear will be riding a lot lower

dependable

I have 2 civy 6,2s, a k-10 and a k-30 that came stock with 2 tanks. the second tank is exactly like the normal one but on the other side. GM made a tank switch, mounted in the frame, run by a 2 position switch on dash. Should be easy to find. Would take a bit of body work to add fuel door to other side, but could be brazed, riveted or tigg welded or similar. If one was out west, you might even be able to find a pickup bed with duel tank option that wasn't rusty. It was an option on gas trucks as well.

91W350

one thing to remember with the rear in place of spare tank is a rear ender, this could cause a riped open tank, also with the extra weight behind the axle, the rear will be riding a lot lower
42 gallons would weigh around 300 pounds. I doubt that would make a noticeable ride height difference in a M1008 or M1028. That tank would be much better protected ahead of the pickup rear cross member than the Blazer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks