• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual mass flywheel

So Im using the deuce as my topic for a research paper in my manual drivetrains class and one of the points is what type of flywheel is on the vehicle, ive used the search and come up with nothing, so the question is:

Does the deuce use a dualmass flywheel? Or is it a singlemass?

Thanks in advance

James

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, they only have a harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft.

Dual Mass flywheels are relatively new(1980's) technology.

Kohburn

only dual mass flywheels I've ever seen were for high RPM applications. the purpose being to lighten the rotating mass. the "dual" portion comes in because you don't want aluminum as your friction surface so an inlay of iron is used.

Okay, i was wondering because there was nothing in the TMs that said anything about the flywheel other than the friction plates bolted onto it (if I was reading the diagrams and such correctly) thanks guys quick and knowledgeable help as always [thumbzup]

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce uses a single mass flywheel with a damped clutch disk. Dual mass flywheels are intended to make the power transmission smoother and ease shifting by allowing the use of a lighter clutch disk without damper springs and floating hub. The dual mass flywheel uses a spring damped second flywheel surface to do this. Smaller diesels use them generally, not big stuff.

Jake0147

Dual mass flywheels are a band aid to get an underspec'ed transmission with undersized gears to survive behind an engine that's got too many horsepower to be in a vehicle that's not stout enough to support an adequate driveline. Deuces did not need this protection from themselves.

velociT

only dual mass flywheels I've ever seen were for high RPM applications.
My 06 VW Jetta TDI had a DMF.

They were hit and miss. Right before they went out, they'd start chattering.

I believe most that had failure were swapped out for SMF's.

There is a lot of information about DMF failure at TDIclub.com.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks