• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual volt alternator for accessories

Victorkilo31

I haven't been able to find an answer or I missed it in my searches, but I have a dual volt alternator on my m998 and I was wondering if I could wire it up to run all my 12v stuff, rather than use inverters and what not, all over. Nothing crazy, mostly chargers for GPS and phones, maybe a cb one day, things along those lines. I've got a pretty good idea that the lower volt side was for the 4l80e transmission, but was wondering if I can/should or shouldn't try to find this out. Thanks in advance and sorry if it's been answered. Been researching a lot today and eyes are getting blurry and brains fuzzy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You can charge a third battery with it I wouldn't run a stereo off of just the wire I think it has a voltage sensor in it so it won't read a charge voltage unless a Battery is hooked up to it.

Victorkilo31

Seems easy enough. I wasn't planning on a stereo in my truck, probably some sort of Bluetooth speakers or similar, and I don't think a cb and phone chargers are going to care much if there's a 3rd battery or not.
However, it's not a bad idea to consider a 3rd battery, not sure where I'd place it or wire it in though. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have mine in a deuce I don't think you'll get voltage without a battery I think it's a built in safety feature to protect the alternator from being damaged. I have mine in my service box in a plastic boat battery box I ran a a 10 or 12 Gage wire from it to the battery. Then powered my stereo and amp from the battery.

Attachments

mechanicjim

for the dual voltage alternators don't run the loads directly off the alternator studs, run a cable from the alternator to the battery and then from the battery to the loads. if you want you can use the lower of the two 24v batteries as the 12v source. that is the way the original setups are designed. if you do use a third battery just make sure the battery is grounded to the chassis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks