• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dual wheel cylinders

jesusgatos

So you're saying that dual wheel cylinders would be an improvement over the deuce's single wheel cylinder setup? OK. Now we just need to figure out whether these parts can in fact be swapped over. Also need to figure out the wheel cylinder bore sizes. Wonder if they're smaller, or maybe a different master cylinder would need to be used? Would be great if we could find an appropriately-sized dual circuit master cylinder.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JG, I just don't see the real advantage in your case, since parts are not easily interchangeable... Maybe save some $$$ and convert to disk brakes, one day!?

Admitted, a (floating?) brake shoe pushed against the drum with even force to both ends will perform better causing less deformation to the drum (yes, they do deform during hard braking, thereby reducing friction!) and also the lining will wear more evenly and... last a little longer. I guess back then that must have been the main reason for the A1 to A2 mod/upgrade. But at the same time M35A3s still continue using the same "old fashioned" fixed pivot setup with only one cylinder per wheel; a stupid-simple design but sufficiently dimensioned for a (stock) Duece IMHO and very effective indeed!
That of course, if linings are OK, shoes correctly adjusted and drums still running perfectly true... (probably not after a hub flip...!:roll:)

On a side note: the only time I did a complete brake overhaul on one M105A2 I found both lower cylinders totally frozen so it was actually working like the earlier version! Linings were worn down to the rivets towards the upper ends - and still enough braking action!

G.

jesusgatos

Well if parts are not interchangeable (or cannot be made to fit relatively easily), then OK. But if it's feasible, I'm interested. Mostly because any improvement in braking performance would be welcome, whether or not it's necessary is another question altogether. But my M109 weighed about 16,000ls stock, and I'm adding a LOT of weight with the motorhome conversion. Plus I'll be towing an M103 trailer that I'm building a custom enclosure for, and I'm guessing that will end up weighing about 3,500lbs (empty). My best guess is that I'll be somewhere in the low to mid 20K range when I'm all loaded-up and ready to travel.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M211 had dual brake cylinders for each wheel end. It was about the same size as the M35/but different manufacture and basically the same type system/air over hydraulics. It would be interesting to compare the backing plates and drum size!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks