• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual wheels on a M37

Has any one ever seen anything this before, or have any idea of what would be required to do something like this?
I wish I had some more pictures but this truck is on an auction site and this all they have. They look like factory rims to me but I'm not a expert by any means. So once again I'm turning to the trusty SS site.
:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

gerrykan

The wheels are riveted together.
The rivets can be removed and the centers moved to change the offset.

Do so at your own risk.
They should be welded by a competent welder. Getting them true is not easy.
I'm sure the safety nazis will forbid you do this.

There is an official photo of an M37 with duals being loaded on an airplane to search a crash site.
I think the plane they were searching for was the 'Lady Be Good'.
Finding the photo won't tell you where to find dual wheels, but it will give you something to do.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super easy, just need 10 Budd nuts and 10 Budd caps from the back of a deuce or 5 ton or 18 wheeler type Budd lug centered wheel. And of course an extra spare tire.

Edit: I believe wheels of a different offset have to be used as well. These were available on the Power Wagons.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of the dual wheels with new NDTs mounted on them. I bolted them to the front of my truck to be sure they would work (they do). I was worried about steering interference (there isn't any).

You are correct about the increased steering difficulty though. Unless you are in mud or soft sand, I don't think the Hulk could do a tight turn in the truck.

Storm 51

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the steering axle, we mounted 7.50x16's on them. When you get into the boggy stuff, they still give flotation, but on the firmer ground, they don't touch, and steering is easier. With duals on the rear, you have to be careful, that you don't break axles.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A few years back, I saw at Aberdeen a stock, dueled up, m37 series contract maintenance truck

Okay after looking around for a while I found this information on texas power wagon.(there are two sizes of NDT for military Dodges and "flatfender" POWER WAGONs. Each requires the correct rim. In addition to having different rim widths, each of the rims has a different bead depth. Both NDT have an indentation shaped to match the rim flanges. The indentation helps to hold the split ring in place. Using the correct tire with the correct rim is a critical safety issue. The most common NDT is the 9.00 x 16 tire. It requires a 6.5" x 16" rim. This rim has a wider flange to support the bead with the increased load capacity of the 9.00 x 16 tire. Common to half-ton military Dodges and the POWER WAGONs with lower weight capacity ratings are 7.50 x 16 tires mounted on the 5.5" x 16" rim. In addition to being an inch narrower than the other rim, this rim has other differences. Its bead is shallower. Do not use 9.00 x 16 tires on the 5.5" rims. With this shallow bead, the split ring is not held in place when a 9.00 x 16 military NDT is mounted. There is a chance that the larger tire could roll off the rim in extreme circumstances.)
The 5.5" x 16" rim has a greater offset than the 6.5" x 16" rim. The greater offset allows these rims to be used in a dual configuration with 7.50 x 16 tires." So from what I understand I need the 5.5" rims to run be able to have dual wheels? also can anyone shed some light on using a 900x16 on a 5.5" rim? sorry for the lengthy post but the only you learn is by reading and asking many questions when you don't fully understand.:???:

Last edited:

MartinB

I have seen guys that own early Dodge Power Wagons add dual wheels by adding longer wheel lugs. The offset of the wheel centers was sufficient to allow this

M37Dually

Duals

I have a dually m37. I believe it is factory. The offset on the wheels is 8 inches. I have read the single tire trucks are just 7 inch offset wheels.

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to mount the dually tire IN THE FRONT! as to tire size, I used the same tires and wheels as all the others. What enabled me to do this was the dually studs , as used on the Deuce. Its really no big deal to do this and as for steering, I never went off roading with this set up but on the pavement I held on to the steering wheel with more firmness

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks