• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual wheels on front of a deuce

madsam

I do have one complaint. the first vid has a truck in a US army paint pattern but a British flag.. ;-)

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I suspect that's because the owner/restorer of this beautiful truck happens to be English and lives in England. He has as much right to be patriotic as we do. If he went to the trouble and expense of restoring the truck (or even if he bought it completely restored), I see no problem with him displaying his own flag on it. The important thing is that he (or someone) prevented it from becoming several Kias. :)

DeuceNewb

so what would it take to put duals up front on a deuce? Are there differend lug nuts? I know a guy not too far from me with a few spare rear axles and tires, should i get all the lug nuts from the axle to do this?

Last edited:

madsam

I suspect that's because the owner/restorer of this beautiful truck happens to be English and lives in England. He has as much right to be patriotic as we do. If he went to the trouble and expense of restoring the truck (or even if he bought it completely restored), I see no problem with him displaying his own flag on it. The important thing is that he (or someone) prevented it from becoming several Kias. :)

I know. I was just kidding. :-D . I do think it would make more than several kias. Maybe 5 or 6??

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
so what would it take to put duals up front on a deuce? Are there differend lug nuts? I know a guy not too far from me with a few spare rear axles and tires, should i get all the lug nuts from the axle to do this?
It would be easy enough to do. You'd just use the same inner/outer lug nuts that you use on the rear. It will add strain on the steering components, though, and make it noticeably harder to steer on pavement.

saddamsnightmare

February 25th, 2009.

Gentlemen:

That is a CCKW with true testosterone, more like an M35A2!:p BUT, I don't know if I would have the shoulders to turn it, my Unimog's got German Army 12,50 X 20 issue M+S tires, (singles) and it is all you can do to turn it at low speed. Bet the dudes with he Mini-Coopers stay outta his way.....:twisted:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Wolf.Dose

Duals on front axle of the Jimmy

Heyguys, if you run throught the manuals of 1944 and the lithereature, yot woill find out, that duals on the front axle were within the standard designe. It was intended to use on loose sand and simelar only. On the road it uses for tzhe driver a ral strenght to operare the steering, especially in sharp turns. Else the wear of the front axle steeriong jopints is emense and usally with the old vehicles requires replacement after rosd use. A friend of mine did it with his AIR BORNE Jimmy in Normandy in 1994. He needed all bushings and jopints new after that in the parade in Bayeux. He was woith the duals on the front axle on the way from Courseulle sur mer to Bayeux and back, including the parade less than 20 miles and he ruined the front axle allmost comletely!
The Studs and nuts which should be on the front axle as standard, should enable the vehicle without other parts to fix the duals front: TM 9-801, issue April 1944!
Wolf

emr

I have not read all the posts, but i have had the honor of owning a cckw352 open cab,exactly the same as this one for quit a few years, i also ran the deuls on the front for most of the time, these Jimmy,s ,not deuce and a halfs,not deuce and a halfs because no one has ever provided proof that a deuce n half ton truck was ever called that in ww2, now an"i heard somebody did once does not count, 12,000 were built, rare truck, and they were a prime artillary mover that was there designation, the duels were there to assist in placement of artillary, and towing of course when needed, AND they were the only truck produced by us to actually have BUD wheel nuts in the FRONT, for the newby that is the same set up on the rears of our later model deuce and a halfs, so the outer wheel can be on and off without loosening the inner wheel, Now as for ease of steering i read some early post, these GMC's advertized they were the easiest steering truck on the market, and that was do to the worm gear in the steering box, and YES it did work, it is easy to steer that truck even with the deuls on, like eveything else, proper PM ALOT of grease ALOT of GREASE, and all the miles on mine with the deuls and I used it ALOT! winter spring and summer , had no noticible wear, on the moving parts, but i did an extreme job of maintenance, Now that truck is still in our club and still putting miles on it and the front end is still tight, that truck is so beautiful in my eyes its sexy, U definetily can put deuls on the front of our later model deuces, ive seen it and also on M37s around NYC ,I think a fellow nemed pete has done it off and on to his M37 and deuce, Noe a deuce will be one bear to steer, I will note on side by side comparrison, in 24 inch deep snow the cckw with deuls did very very well but the 270 cu in line 6 gas motor had trouble pushing thru the deep stuff, never a traction problem but when we ran to the shop and drove the m35 thru the 24inch deep snow it was like there was no snow, as awesome as ww2 trucks are, there is no comparisson to an M series...Randy

sarge_3ad

During Desert Storm, I noticed that our Service and Recovery Platoon put duals on front of one of their deuces. I saw it off and on rolling through the desert during the ground war. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it. It did look kinda neat.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been almost a year so, here's another pic and a bump. Sorry it is not a deuce pic!

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I ran duals on the front of my deuce at the 2011 Ga rally. It was not much harder to steer than with just the single tires, on or off-road. I was running new tires on the inside and almost wore out tires on the outside, so because of the tread height difference I think it was easier to steer. I did snap the steering shaft that comes out of the steering box but that was due to a heavy foot on the throttle plus a deep hole.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks