• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually centers on HEMTT rims

tucker79

So I got a 79 M52A1 and I LOVE IT ( my 1st born) It came with stock 11.00 20s on stock rims. They were not wide enough in the front & I kept sinking in front but could almost always back out with the 8 1100s out back locked up. So I found a great deal on 6 395/85R20s Goodyrs on HEMTT rims and I Love um BUT 8 of them out back is my new twisted dream without it looking ridiculous. This is my thought on how to do it without breaking the bank. I was thinking I could use the centers from the dually rims to replace centers on the HEMTT rims and do away with stock rear springs and put 2 sets of front spring packs under the frame to gain some room. I dont know if theres a easier way, flip hubs, spacers, different rims but I would love to hear some ideas on what the pros think. I want to keep that stock dually look just bigger. I do NOT want the outside tires sticking out past the flatbed more than a few in. tops. Please help me make my dreams a reality.

KIMG0046.jpgIMG_20150101_133628.jpg1419542133052.jpg1422201301080.jpg

Some Pics for your viewing pleasure

ThatXJGuy

Didn't some of the bridge trucks have wider dually tires in the rear? I know they were way outside the width you want but I think they used spacers and maybe their wheels without the spacers? I'm just shooting in the dark here as I don't really know much about the bridge trucks but maybe something like that would work.

tucker79

Theres a Lot of CNC guys around here in S. FL making custom rims for 2.5 n 5 ton mud trucks & the prices have got fairly reasonable. I was thinking they could make a The rim I want out of the 2 types of rims I have & am looking for a way that has worked in the real world. I think those deep dish rims are gonna be hangin way out there. Does anyone know the dimensions of the bridge truck rims, do they clear in the back without a spacer, longer studs.....

Last edited:

KsM715

How wide are you going to be in the rear with dualed out " super singles"? I'm no engineer but I don't think doubled up leaf spring set up will work very well either..

tucker79

How wide are you going to be in the rear with dualed out " super singles"? I'm no engineer but I don't think doubled up leaf spring set up will work very well either..
From my frame to the outside edge of my flatbed is 31" tires are 15 '' wide so with a 1" between the frame and inside tire n a 1" between the 2 tires 32" and a lil wiggle room left. Front leafsprings are used in back a lot around here mostly Bobbers but I think all I got to do to keep Mine 6X6 is stretch the driveshaft a lil and move a axle some maybe not looks real close. What would the drawbacks be of 4 leaf packs in back loss of articulation, load capacity, how much loss, handling, clearance issues???
Really think dualed out Super Singles would look awsome and I like the fact if you blow a tire you got plenty more Thats (important to me way out in the everglades) and would support all that weight out in the mud much better and I transport some Huge trees with this truck in Palm Beach so the wider I can get the rubber the less I tare up the job site n will be just BEEFY

Last edited:

KsM715

I meant overall width. If I remember correctly ( quite possible I'm wrong) but aren't the bridge trucks and m-123 over width "on road" when dualed? Leaf springs are fine when bobbed ( I even built one that way ) but with tandem axles I think you'd be losing a lot of articulation ( hanging one of the axles ) when traversing rough ground. Also a lot of work when super singles will fit stock with out moving anything

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you need that much flotation why not consider skidder tires? You might even be able to find some rims that would bolt on and have enough offset that you wouldn't have to modify the suspension. Just my rambling thoughts for what they're worth.

ThatXJGuy

I think that wide duals would be good for flotation and looks and any other practical reason but you don't want to change the leaf spring setup if you want to keep your offroad capability. You might as well get rid of the extra axle if you're on uneven surfaces. The walking beam articulation is the only thing that makes these trucks better offroad than any semi with front wheel drive. The bridge trucks were definitely over width though and I don't know if you could get wider tires to stay under legal width unless you can fit them on the stock wheels and just have a really small gap between them or something. You can't move the inner tire much closer to the frame without the top of it rubbing when the truck flexes.

Csm Davis

Okay I have looked hard at doing this and staying legal and the best thing I have figured out is mount the inside wheels to the axles then a spacer or a modified wheel to the outside. This way you can simply remove the outside wheels for travel on the road and when you get to where you are going add the outside set.

tucker79

Okay I have looked hard at doing this and staying legal and the best thing I have figured out is mount the inside wheels to the axles then a spacer or a modified wheel to the outside. This way you can simply remove the outside wheels for travel on the road and when you get to where you are going add the outside set.
Finally a glass half full guy. Its pretty flat down here in FL and the only rocks we have are called reefs. I do spend most of my time on the street as the everglades and mud bogs are 40 min to a few hrs away. I just got to have it already told my tire guy to get me 4 more so one whatever it takes Im doin it. Obliviously I dont want to do any more work on this beast than I have too( chopping out axles...) I like it the way it is but dual super singles=AWSOME!!! Im not a letter of the law kind of guy as far as driving old trucks around and the cops around here love it so I think I could get by with a few in. I also thought that being able to run with singles on my long trips would be a good idea. To me it looks like theres room. is there a dually rim somewhere in between stock n bridge truck? how wide are the bridge truck rims? anyone out there building spacers for these? maybe theres a commercial rim that would work

tucker79

If you need that much flotation why not consider skidder tires? You might even be able to find some rims that would bolt on and have enough offset that you wouldn't have to modify the suspension. Just my rambling thoughts for what they're worth.
I have some monster tractor that I planned on putting on there but then I have to trailer this beast everywhere No fun poor lil F450) and I just cant see bobbin the 5 ton a 2.5 Ok but I like havin all that rubber and I do use it for work from time to time

lakeydna

I'll post pics of this tomorrow. We have trucks around here like that.

lakeydna

IMG_20150127_143043.jpgIMG_20150127_142734.jpgIMG_20150127_142715.jpg

The picture of the dual gap wouldn't upload. The inside rears are the same as the front, and the outer is re-centered with a piece of pipe. You might get away with a FMTV wheel inboard and a bridge truck wheel outboard.

Last edited:

tucker79

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks