• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually M1028A2, South Florida Rebuild

Stonepicker1

Worked on the battery tray tonight. The Banks Turbo air filter housing takes up the space of the front military battery tray.
(Yes, I could have replaced it with a stock one)
I will be using two, Red Top batteries with the plastic bases, so I took a piece of aluminum that I had and made a base that would hold both batteries. Cut some threaded rods, drilled, tapped and installed the rods in the base. Came out pretty good.
Going to make a brace for the air filter housing tomorrow night.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Been working a little here and there on this rebuild. Finished with the Banks Turbo setup on the engine. The 3" exhaust system is a pain over the rear axle and the down pipe is real close to the glow plugs. You will have to remove the down pipe just to change the plugs.

Went to get new Red Top batteries and Costco's and Sam's were out of stock. I'll try another store Tuesday.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Got the engine started finally tonight. After it started the engine started to make a knock, knock, knock sound on the driver’s side....then it would go away and come back.

What started this whole engine rebuild thing is that the glow plug melted in the rear cyl on the driver’s side and the tip of the glow plug imbedded into the top of the piston.
Because the knock would come and go, I was pretty sure it was not something I did when rebuilding the engine. Had my fingers crossed anyway.
I removed the rear injector and it looked real wet. Replaced with a new injector and now the knock is gone.

Engine feels like it has a lot of power. I have to hook up the drive shafts and still finish the exhaust.

Click on the link to hear the engine.
http://youtu.be/ocb1L-L8v8M

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me wonders if that cylinder was somehow overfueled because of that errant injector and that caused the tip to burn off the glow plug? Glad to hear it running. It needs to get the heck out of the way to make way for the crew cab.

Stonepicker1

Me wonders if that cylinder was somehow overfueled because of that errant injector and that caused the tip to burn off the glow plug? Glad to hear it running. It needs to get the heck out of the way to make way for the crew cab.
I was thinking the same thing.

The CUCV-II crew cab will have to wait. I have to work on my son's 650 motorcycle. Something making a noise behind the clutch cover.:roll: It stopped on him the other day about 10 miles from the house and had to pick him and the bike up in the CUCV-II. The bike just fit in the back.

Stonepicker1

While I had the drive shaft off and the U-joint being the weakest point in the system now, I went ahead and replaced the U-joint, caps and screws.
It was a pain to press out one of the caps. Looks like the end of the driveshaft was dropped and the top lip was dented so the cap would not come out. I press it in and took a file to the dented lip and was able to press the cap out. Always something slowing me down.:(

Spicer 5-178X (U-Joint)
Precision 331-10 (Caps and Screws)

Attachments

Stonepicker1

I was thinking of installing one of my Milemarker Hyd 10,000 lb winch's on my Dually. I would make it so you could mount it on the front or the rear using the tow hooks as a mounting point. Run long Hyd hoses to the rear with quick release fittings. Quick release fitting up front also.

I just put it in front of my truck to see what it would take to make it happen. Now to think of a cool way to get it done.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

The Dually sounds good with just a straight pipe on the exhaust.

Hear it here: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3d92pBi7s0[/media]

I have to move a lot of suff to get it out of my back yard. Road test later this week.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, if I could find a cheap 4" kit, I'd lift mine before the GA Rally and get some tires for it up there and drive back on HMMWV tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks