• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals vs. singles

rcadick

I'm in the process of deciding what features I would like to have on my Deuce (the one I will own in the not to distant future). :p As of now, my ideal Deuce would have a winch, wistler turbo, hard top, intact or repro hoops and bed cover, as well as a cab heater. For me, these are the basics. Other items would be nice, like a fording kit, but I can live without them, or don't know enough about them to have formulated an opinion. One such topic is the rear wheels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of singles on the rear axles? I prefer the look of the duals with NDT's but have heard that you can get better traction with the singles?

rcadick

Thanks, I did perform a "duals vs. Singles" search but in 21 pages of topics I didn't find a good concise answer. Most of the posts dealt with 5-ton and up, hotrodding, or size issues. I also performed a google search and found a tiny bit of basic information on another website, but, I like to check my sources. ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Singles are better off road. Duals have a safety factor with extra tires. Singles reduce tire scrub, turning effort and turning radius. Those are the facts!

rizzo

Re: RE: Duals vs. singles

Recovry4x4 said:
Singles are better off road. Duals have a safety factor with extra tires. Singles reduce tire scrub, turning effort and turning radius. Those are the facts!
that pretty much covers it. 5ton or 2.5 ton issues are the same.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Duals vs. singles

Singles, (if replaced with 1100's) offer better safety factor in the front. The 900's get close to overloaded if your truck has a winch, in particular at highway speeds.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Duals vs. singles

Are there any other tires(military)other than 9.00 and 11.00 NDT/NDCC that will allow Duals in the rear with stock deuce rims?

M1075

rcadick said:
I prefer the look of the duals with NDT's but have heard that you can get better traction with the singles?
If you prefer the look of duals with NDT's and don't do a lot of aggressive off-road driving, then stay with them.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Re: RE: Duals vs. singles

FreightTrain said:
Are there any other tires(military)other than 9.00 and 11.00 NDT/NDCC that will allow Duals in the rear with stock deuce rims?
I have seen the XZL's in duals on several deuces on this site. I like the look of them compared to the NDTs/NDTTs.

There have been and are some lots coming up on GL with XZLs.

derby

My new 15.5 80 R20 Mich. are rated @12,000 each.load range "J" I like the singles,but do like the availability of extra tires in a flat situation with duals.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had assumed he was thinking of 11.00-20 singles. I agree the supers look good and will work better off road. How much do they cost? I'm planning on running 11.00-20 duals like mcinfantry's truck when these 9.00's wear out.

Barrman

Michelin makes the XL tire and the XZL tire. The XZL has smaller closer spaced tread blocks. Think of the XZL as the all terrain tire and the XL as the mud version.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would love to find a cache of 1100 XLs and convert my motorpool over. Until then I'm seriously considering going to 1100 NDTs in dual format when I exhaust my 900 tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks