• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals with flipped hubs

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does any one have a picture that shows two hubs side-by-side, one with the flange out and the other with the flange in?
This may help. I don't have a pic that I can find of the hubs flipped but here is what it looks like with the outside duals off. You can see how much hub is exposed.
Edit, here is a pic of a V17AMTQ. You can see that the rims are on in the same direction but almost no hub sticks out with the hubs reversed for singles.

Another edit, here is what the hubs look like set up for duals. Disregard the drum being cut all the way around. This happens when the hold down hardware fails and no one checks it.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Recovery4x4, Your second truck photo has them in the outer position, wide, where the first truck is narrow like your hub detail. Mine is standard for the A3, but from what you say, the budd duals on A2 have your hub detail as "standard". Flipped is relative to where one starts.

Your second truck has the hubs with the wide setup (same as my hub position) and half of a budd dual. It would seem to work ok with 11.00 and be about a foot wider stance than the (A2) original with half a budd (your first photo).

Look at the center lines of the tires. The first, with hubs in the narrow position, like your detail, has nearly all of the load on one bearing. The second truck with the wide hub position (my hub detail) has the tire nearly centered over the 2 bearings.

Last edited:

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does any one have a picture that shows two hubs side-by-side, one with the flange out and the other with the flange in?
Here’s with the hubs flipped out on my m35a2 like the A3’s and above in the last picture of post 21 is stock “flipped in”909BA2D7-D79C-4513-8677-A4BA1DC2C8A5.jpeg

tobyS

Yes William. The photo of your A2 and my A3 is the position I thought was used with the budd duals and the A3 singles, dish in. Recovery4x4 says budds run with the narrow setup... I didn't know that. They sure ar too narrow for a bud ran as a single.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my first picture, that is a dual wheel truck without the outer duals on. I chose that pic to illustrate how much hub sticks out. I forget why I removed the outer tires. I found the receipt for that truck the other day. I paid $197.76 back in 2002. The V17AMTQ came as a single wheel truck with 1100x20 tires. It has the hub flange out just like the A3 deuces like yours tobyS

davidb56

w
On my first picture, that is a dual wheel truck without the outer duals on. I chose that pic to illustrate how much hub sticks out. I forget why I removed the outer tires. I found the receipt for that truck the other day. I paid $197.76 back in 2002. The V17AMTQ came as a single wheel truck with 1100x20 tires. It has the hub flange out just like the A3 deuces like yours tobyS
hy wouldn't you run the just the outer dual, and leave the inner one off? wouldn't that put the tire over the center of both bearings?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
w

hy wouldn't you run the just the outer dual, and leave the inner one off? wouldn't that put the tire over the center of both bearings?
If you look at the pic of just the hub/drum, the bearings are just under the flange. That is the correct placement for duals. In that position, the area between the duals is right above the bearings. Removing either tire compromises this. The only correct method to run single is either with the flange moved outer (for a standard budd wheel or A3 wheel)) or to reverse the dish on an A3 wheel or aftermarket wheels. Check out a 5 ton with super singles. Those rims are reversible so you will see them with the dish out. Early (50s) single wheel 5 tons used a standard budd rim with hubs flange out. With all that said, folks still do it as you described. Gimpyrobb's truck is that way with 395 tires and has been for years without any ill effects.

davidb56

If you look at the pic of just the hub/drum, the bearings are just under the flange. That is the correct placement for duals. In that position, the area between the duals is right above the bearings. Removing either tire compromises this. The only correct method to run single is either with the flange moved outer (for a standard budd wheel or A3 wheel)) or to reverse the dish on an A3 wheel or aftermarket wheels. Check out a 5 ton with super singles. Those rims are reversible so you will see them with the dish out. Early (50s) single wheel 5 tons used a standard budd rim with hubs flange out. With all that said, folks still do it as you described. Gimpyrobb's truck is that way with 395 tires and has been for years without any ill effects.
I like running duals in the summer for firewooding, but in the winter, I NEED to chain up, and since I have newer 11-20's, I can only run single outside wheel chains. So Thats the set up I'll have to do to run singles for better traction, rather than duals with one chain each. Good thing is that I only drive about 200 miles in the winter....all on mountain ice roads and deep snow. Thank you for the reply and info.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks