• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duel alternator system on a 5ton wiring questions.

bubba_got_you

I was reading other threads on the subject but they seemed to get muddy with debate and I couldn’t make heads or tails of what was going on anymore.
I’m an ok electric guy and I can make the CUCV’s work but I’m more of a gear head than an electrician im much happier to retro fit a turbo than to run wires.
[FONT=&quot]So my question is, can I run a duel alternator setup on my 5ton so that the 1st alt charges one bat and the 2nd charges the other? Can I have the alts separate with 2 gauges and have them putting out 14v to each battery or do I have to run it like the CUCV and run the 2 alts is series? I have it in my head how I think it will work but I like to bounce ideas around a bit before I try them and potentially fry all my wiring. The reason I am wanting to do the 2 12v alts is that my truck is going to be a camper (there will be a built thread in a few weeks but for now ill show you a teaser pic) and I have plans to run 12v lights in the camper and I want my radios and a/c. [/FONT]

Attachments

eagle4g63

Cheaper than changing over your 24 volt system just add a 12 volt system. You will be buying a 12 volt alternator anyway, you just need another battery. Just like I did on my deuce, just run 2 complete systems.....easy to do they can share the ground without any problems. Then you can run the camper part and never worry about draining the 24 volt system the truck needs to run on.

eagle4g63

You were going to have 2 alternators with your way also....so no difference.[thumbzup]

Like I told the other guy.....ground the battery, ground the alternator.....run positive wire from alternator to battery......hook up all you want to the battery.

I used a lawnmower battery for my 12 volt system, Menards $37. Alternator, Autozone $32.......cheap and easy, couldn't ask for anything more:!:

Attachments

bubba_got_you

You were going to have 2 alternators with your way also....so no difference.[thumbzup]

Like I told the other guy.....ground the battery, ground the alternator.....run positive wire from alternator to battery......hook up all you want to the battery.

I used a lawnmower battery for my 12 volt system, Menards $37. Alternator, Autozone $32.......cheap and easy, couldn't ask for anything more:!:
[FONT=&quot]Well I knew there would be 2 alternators either way but I meant the drag of the 3d battery charging, but that should be minimal at best. I don’t know why I was trying to over complicate things by doing the other method. I think I might even have an old 100-amp alternator off an ambulance lying around somewhere. [/FONT]

nlauffer

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but I have a question. I have searched for some time and am still not 100% sure about the second alternator 12v system. The posts I have read are all about the M35's. What I want to make sure is can I purchase the second alternator bracket for a M923 with the 250 Cummins? This is a fire truck and I have another one to start building and will be getting 2 more. If you search you can see the build thread I started. Although, I haven't gotten very far on it. The truck is almost done and I have been getting someone else to do the picture taking. I will probably post when the truck is completed, but I need to know about the second alternator bracket first. I'm hoping to purchase one for this truck or if someone can show me a picture of one for the 250, I'm sure I can duplicate. Again, I'm just not 100% if the posts on here are meant for the M923 with Cummins 250 or just the older M35's with different motors. Please help. Thanks. Also, let me know if I need to post this somewhere else.

nlauffer

OK. Now I have another concern. These are both M923 trucks with Cummins motors. The first one I have, has a v belt setup on the motor. The second one I have, has a serpentine belt setup. Now I think I am even more confused. What other information do you need to help me on my 12v alternator setup with these two trucks. The one with the v belts seems to lack the room for a second alternator above the original. The truck with the serpentine belt setup has plenty of room, but how will I get the serpentine belt to work on the second 12v alternator?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks