• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duel Tanks on a M1008

NJRICK

Can I use duel tanks off a 85 gas chevy truck without changing the fuel sending units ? The little M1008 tank does not cut it running 37"s at highway speeds

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a transfer tank, yes. If you want to run off it you will need a fuel return..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do yourself a huge favor. Don't even try to use that horrid polack valve setup.

It's a little more costly, but do it my way. Two electric fuel pumps and one 12v selector valve. Power up whatever tank you want to pump and have the valve triggered accordingly on the return valve. You'll have a lot less chance for failure. Best of all, if a pump fails, or the solenoid fails, a few minutes under the truck with a flat blade screwdriver will get you going again. Can't do that with the pollack valve setup.

And forget trying to use the pollack with any WVO... Don't ask.

Skinny

I am going to be doing a dual setup soon when money is available with tax returns. I planned on using a six way valve to switch my supplies and returns manually. I would like to keep a manual lift pump and not convert to electric. Any input on this? I would like to avoid going to a pair of electric pumps.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am going to be doing a dual setup soon when money is available with tax returns. I planned on using a six way valve to switch my supplies and returns manually. I would like to keep a manual lift pump and not convert to electric. Any input on this? I would like to avoid going to a pair of electric pumps.
What you speak of is the pollack valve setup. Just google it and you'll see how "durable" they are.

Ditching the mech pump is only a win win. Next best way would be using a pair of 12v solenoids. You could also do that and keep your mech fuel pump. If, when you have a fuel pump failure you like diesel fuel in your crankcase oil. Or you like having to crank excessively for filter changes or running the fuel system empty...

Skinny

Good to know about the Pollack valve...you just saved me $180...cheers!

I understand the downsides to the mechanical pump...I like the simplicity. Definitely trade offs to think about. From what I understand about your setup, both tank pumps are t'd together and only one is pumping at a time? I would assume the pump check valve keeps the other tank from filling under pressure from the other pump. Also, what type of valve are you using for the return line?

If I am understanding that right, it seems pretty simple and redundant in case one pump fails.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Exactly. Both of the pumps in the vehicle I had setup had internal check valves to them. (The electromechanical fuel pump style) The outputs from the two pumps were teed together into the input side of the injection pump. (In your case, the fuel filtering assembly) The return line had a single solenoid valve that teed back out the return to the tanks. The return solenoid was powered along with one pump. (Routed correctly to cause the fuel return outlet to pump into the return tank)

This was designed for WVO in mind. Prone for trouble (the fuel, not the system). So it's setup redundant in mind. The only way you could have total failure would be the electrical supply line into the double poll single throw switch, the wires themselves, or if BOTH fuel pumps died. If you lost a pump (even the one not using the selector valve) you could easily reverse the return lines or swap pumps to get moving again.

Skinny

I don't become easily persuaded but that is pretty trick! Do you have a writeup on your system with component part numbers or part of a build thread?