• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dueling out m35a3. can it be done

Mat65r

Helo every one one new to the forums and glad to be here. My fire department wants to get away from the super single tires on are brush trucks the side wall are just to week and convert all of are trucks to duels . Can you flip the hubs on the a3 like the a2 to make the tires track right and not be sticking a foot out each side?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, and I bet there'd be a line at the door if you offered a trade, super singles for radial duals. We have a classified section here if you decide to go that route.

Mat65r

Yup, and I bet there'd be a line at the door if you offered a trade, super singles for radial duals. We have a classified section here if you decide to go that route.
Thanks man we will be going that route. We have 3 trucks we need to be done . The just don't last for what we do and the duels will be safer on the fire ground the texas brush can be a little hard on those soft side walls . If you can send me a link on a how to and what I need and thanks for the reply

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I am not an M35A3 expert, what steps will need to be added to the process relating to the CTIS? Can it be used in any way with a tee to air both tires?

Mat65r

We have all of CTIS taken off the trucks anyways but I bet if of some one put mind to it bet it can be done

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Honestly, I'd just cap off the ctis with a plug. Its not really needed and is a known weak point of the A3.

Mat65r

Yes sir it's really pointless for us. All 3 of are A3 have it taken off . Are New LMTV m1078 has the CTIS on it still and plane to do away it on it also, running the tires on low are is not a good idea with a 650gl water tank on the back.

tobyS

You might want to consider going to 11.00 duals on the rears and keep the 14.5 singles on the front. They are the same revolutions per mile. The G177 in 11.00 is a readily available tire.

tobyS

Honestly, I'd just cap off the ctis with a plug. Its not really needed and is a known weak point of the A3.

It takes a guy with an A2 to put down the A3. Next he's going to be complaining about the auto transmission.
While on the subject of auto transmission in the A3, if you want a PTO off the tranny, here is one on my Alison 1545. If you want hydraulics, I have the PTO and can fix up about any type pump, fixed displacement or variable with pressure compensation.

Attachments

Mat65r

We love are a3s the have been good trucks easy to drive and one off them has the pto with the pump on it . On the tires we already have a whole set ready to go on the truck we already put the steer tires on the front of one that is going to be the first truck we duel out just waiting on the inner and out lugs. I just want to make it look right thanks for all the reply I'm going to enjoy it here

Mat65r

Im not going to say ANYTHING about the lack of overdrive and the truck being unable to go over 45mph...
Well baggers can't be choosers that are slower than the A2s .they will run 50 the sound like they are about to blow up when you do lol but the get the job done.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I like the power of the cat and the air assist is great. Once you get 395s on there they are quick...

But GOD they are fugly!

Mat65r

I like the power of the cat and the air assist is great. Once you get 395s on there they are quick...

But GOD they are fugly!
Lol well the fugly truck is kicken butt on the fire ground just like to pop tires when it sees a tree or a bush are old a2 is parked and has been retired the other one went to the scrap yard after blowing the engine that pore truck was in real ruff shape they both had a hard life and we didn't have near the flats or blow outs as we do with it as the supers oh and we found out the hard way they suck in the mud they are good for one thing and that is sand in my opinion.

pmramsey

This is how my A3 looks on 11.00 x 20 tires. These are Firestone 831s. I did not employ a conversion kit. I plugged the lines and that was four years ago. No issues. Flipping the rear hubs is not as complicated as it sounds and the tires will be street legal. It provides a good opportunity to do a complete inspection of the axles, brakes, etc. I replaced all the wheel studs as several were broken when removing. Its a good time to replace the brake lines with new DOT compliant brake lines. Do not run the tires much more than 50-55 psi. They are rated 120 psi and many run them at 80 psi but at 80, the ride is rough and the truck will like to bounce and jump on even the smallest of imperfections in the road at highway speeds.

The Deuce.jpg

Last edited:

tstewart259

Mat65r. I'm actually looking to go to super singles. And have a complete set of wheels as tires off my A2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk