• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DUKWs in Dublin

While recently being on a trip to Ireland I thought I couldn't believe my eyes when strolling around Dublin. Suddenly a DUKW full of people drove past us. I've seen them a couple of times after that, but was never fast enough to pull out the camera, so the attached picture is not one of mine.
The operator is http://www.vikingsplash.ie/ , they have several of them and even take them to the water.
I have mixed feelings about treating a historical vehicle like that, but nevertheless, next time I'm in Dublin I'll take a ride in one of them :)

Mark

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen those in Baltimore, RIDE THE DUCKS! I believe is the company name or something similar. I know they plaster that slogan all over the DUKWs they use. I, too, am going to ride someday in those beasts.

Thanks for the pic, Mark. That paint job, though, is hideous.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They used to have them in Dayton, OH as well but I haven't seen them downtown lately.

On researching I found a large directory for "ducktours" here:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/splashtours/

although some operators seemed to have closed down in the meanwhile. Like Metroducks in Chicago and Dayton on http://www.metroducks.com/ - the website says they are selling their equipment (hinthinthint...)

A few years ago we went to Australia for a while, where I saw a sign with "Armyducktours" in Kuranda near Cairns. Aaahrgh, now I know I have missed another great opportunity.
http://www.rainforest.com.au/attractions/armyduck.htm - looks really nice, the DUKWs in the jungle (and not painted in yellow or light blue..).

Mark

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, you piqued my interest and I contacted the place in Dayton that had the DUKWs. I am waiting to hear back from them now.

Gonna have to dig a bigger pond...........

;-)

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They just opened one of these tours in the Cincinnati area (Newport, KY)
http://www.newportducks.com

. . . although, aparently they are not real "DUKW"s, rather they are newly built imposters
From the newportducks.com website:
Today's Ride The Ducks DUKW
Ride The Ducks is the only DUKW operator with it's own factory. Our vehicles are built by our Amphibious Vehicle Manufacturing (AVM) subsidiary in a modern, dedicated production facility outside Branson, MO. AVM is without question the most experienced and proven manufacturer in the industry and owning the factory ensures that our unique vehicles receive the best possible support and stay up-to-date with all current regulatory and safety requirements.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the response on pricing for the DUKWs they have left.

###############
I have approximately 25 dukws in stock for sale. These prices do not reflect any one particular dukw. They are just a reference on what dukws in different conditions go for.

I have many dukws that fall between the prices listed here.

Below is a guide on what the price and condition of some of the un-restored dukws are.

A project dukw with no drive train and in need of body work would cost around $4,000.00

A dukw that is complete and needs extensive body work would be around $5,000.00

A dukw that is complete and needs non-extensive body work is around $40,000.00

A dukw that has had the sheet metal repaired with no drive train. $60,000.00

A dukw with a 350 V8 and automatic transmission. The dukw is refurbished but still needs seats and so on. $125,000.00 and another one similar but with the 6 cylinder engine and manual trans. $125,000.00

Fully restored dukw not set up for commercial tours is between $80,000.00 and $100,000.00

Mostly completed restoration is $80,000.00

Tour dukw set up and ready to go. It seats 32 people (including the driver) has a canopy and includes all life jackets and related equipment. The price is $150,000.00

I also have a line on 4 dukws set up for commercial tours. This is a limited time one time offer for $80,000.00 each. These are priced to sell fast and may not be available long.

Hank...

#############

steve

Steve, thanks for the info.
I cringed when I read the difference of 35.000 $ between a complete one in need of major bodywork and one that is relativly OK, but then again I've seen a DUKW once that needed extensive bodywork, which looked like a sheet-metal nightmare to me.
To a MV enthusiast another thing might be an issue, that is originality. I don't think the operator of a tourist business pays too close attention to that matter. Oh well.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks