• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb air filter question M1031

kevin-m1008

So I have an M1031 stock everything(as far as I know).. Have had it ~9 months and it is time to replace the air cleaner.

I go to replace the air cleaner and see that the cover is about 1/2" above the bottom air cleaner housing that the air filter sits in. I take the top lid off and see that the height of the air cleaner is 4" which from what I see on the civilian trucks it is the correct air cleaner. it looks from measuring it I need a filter that is ~3 1/2 inches tall. So is this correct or does the top cover suppose to be not touching the bottom half??
TIA
Kevin

My previous M1008 was fine, jeez would think this would be easy...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just use the part number listed in the parts TM.

It's an AC DELCO A644C

Plenty on ebay.

Found this info. [h=3]Specifications[/h]Product Height : 4.05"
Product I.D. :
11.59"
Product O.D. : 13.45"

My lid touches the housing(no gap).

Last edited:
I too used whatever Napa had for a J-code 6.2L. I think it's about 4" tall, but my lid fits tight. Not sure what would be wrong with yours. Might be some dents in in the air cleaner where the filter sits. Do you have any pictures of it?

But as long as the filter is sealed to the top and bottom parts of the air cleaner housing there isn't any issue as far as filtering goes.

kevin-m1008

Thanks for the input. the lid and base are in great shape. it is sealed to the air cleaner. But ~1/2" gap between the base and lid. the air filter is 4" tall.

I guess just need to find another chevy to compare what is different. has to be the base was changed.

I figured that if it was closed properly the engine noise would be reduced some.
Thanks everyone.

86m1028

You may have a non stock cucv air cleaner (lower half). I know there are at least 3 different filter housings (3 & 1/2, 4, last is even taller but don't have a measurement. If the label is still on it, it will give you a filter #. But it sounds like you have a different lower than stock cucv.

kevin-m1008

the lower half still has the sticker on it saying it is for a 6.2 diesel. and the top cover must be what is different. Just need to find one and compare...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks