• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb question about fuel

jeepster1118

I'm about to buy my 1st duece, I want a multifuel as I understand it can run on WMO, WVO, ATF and most anything combustible. Now the dumb question do you have to filter the WMO and other used oils. Thanks and sorry if this topic has been discussed before I just can't find any info on it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm about to buy my 1st duece, I want a multifuel as I understand it can run on WMO, WVO, ATF and most anything combustible. Now the dumb question do you have to filter the WMO and other used oils. Thanks and sorry if this topic has been discussed before I just can't find any info on it.
Welcome to the Outfit!

I would suggest filtering WMO just because of the possibility of ingesting slivers of bearings and grit and general dirt from the waste motor oil. Get yourself a pair of drums - whatever size. Get a filter housing and a pump and move the oil from one drum to the other with the pump and presto! You will have clean oil. Or at least a lot cleaner than raw WMO. You might even find a McDonald's or other place with waste oil. Might even make your truck smell like french fries as it rolls down the road. DEFINITELY need to filter that before you pump it into your truck!

You might also pull down a TM (Technical Manual) on the multi-fuel to give you some idea how to mix the WMO with ATF or something else to "thin it".

canadacountry

as a small sop, this particular turbine-powered fixed-consist trainset by Amtrak in USA had a bit of checkered life lasting only several years long
but the one thing that reminded me of them again was @Mullaney referring to french fries, as amusingly enough many people commented that all immediate traffics around the rail crossing always stank heavily of hot french fries every time this train would go past by!

jeepster1118

Welcome to the Outfit!

I would suggest filtering WMO just because of the possibility of ingesting slivers of bearings and grit and general dirt from the waste motor oil. Get yourself a pair of drums - whatever size. Get a filter housing and a pump and move the oil from one drum to the other with the pump and presto! You will have clean oil. Or at least a lot cleaner than raw WMO. You might even find a McDonald's or other place with waste oil. Might even make your truck smell like french fries as it rolls down the road. DEFINITELY need to filter that before you pump it into your truck!

You might also pull down a TM (Technical Manual) on the multi-fuel to give you some idea how to mix the WMO with ATF or something else to "thin it".
thanks allotnl that helps allot

biscuitwhistler37

Some good info there

Some pics in there and more info. Filtering is very important, lots of ways to do it. Find what you like is my philosophy.

Barrman

Everything you wrote about alternative fuels is correct. So is the reply about filtering at least some way.

Reality is that by the time you get a good pump. (Note that the air operated harbor freight 55 gallon drum one might work for about 30 gallons in my experience.). Source barrels, metal barrels will rust and allow rain water in. Find a way to pick up used oil, transport it, unload it, filter it and then pump it into your fuel tank on the truck. How much are you actually saving time and money wise?

I purchased a dozen barrels and left several at businesses and farmers to fill up years ago. Then I put the rest into a M105 trailer to be my “fuel” trailer. The only transfer pump I ever found that worked 100 percent of the time was a simple hand crank pump type. It take a lot of effort to move oil up into another barrel 4 feet off the ground. Federal DOT rules say moving more than 50 gallons of any thing as a no no. Especially in barrels stuffed into a trailer. I kept a cargo cover over the trailer if I was on the road.

I ran 100% used motor oil for many years. Then coming back from a Texas Rally in 2014 or 2015 the truck would loose power and die unless I added 5 gallons of diesel every 40 miles or so. I discovered that the in tank fuel pump had been gummed up with a thick coating of oil and couldn’t flow anything buy light diesel down to just below 1/3 tank. I cleaned out the pump screen, drained the tank and have only run diesel since.

Just 2 weeks ago I finally finished pumping the last of my barrels dry of oil and water that leaked in and scrapping the barrels. I still have 500 gallons of clean new 15w-40 diesel oil in a plastic tote a business donated to me for removal. I plan to use it for oil, not fuel in the future. I am out of the waste motor oil world. As are most of the people who were in it with me 15 or so years ago.

Do as you wish. Just think about where will you be 10 or so years from now and at what cost?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks