• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb question about transfer case and driveshafts

scjarena

I have a M211 which is a project and I've never driven it yet. It has one of the rear driveshafts off going to the rear end. I started the truck up but it won't move. I assume the other drive is needed coming from the transfer case. Is this correct? Thanks

hippiedude

Sounds like you may have a transmission issue ...... Should drive missing one rear drive shaft .............. Is the drive shaft between the transmission and the transfer case inplace ??? Tim

Gunner0311

Front Shaft?

Is the front driveshaft in place?

Even with no power to the rear shafts, the sprag should engage and send power to the front wheels and you could drive away.

But as was asked above, you need the shaft between the transmission and the
transfer case in working order....:driver:

Good luck and have fun. These are great trucks, once you get the repairs made....

scjarena

Heres the story: previous owner removed or torched driveshaft so the truck could be moved. The short drive shaft is in place between transmission and transfer case. The front drive is removed and the driveshaft to the second rear axle is removed. The flat lever on the floor is pulled up for engaged. I start the engine, small lever on shift tower is forward and then I move larger shifter either into low or high nothing happens. Am I missing something? While running and in gear, I notice the driveshaft turning between the trans and TC, so I'm thinking either the other driveshafts need to be hooked up, the TC is broken, or ?? Thanks

poppop

Sounds like broken transfer uless the shifter is out of adjustment and its not really engaged. With the transmision turning move the transfer shifter up and down and see if you find a place where it grinds. Don't force it just move easily.

nattieleather

Let me see if I'm following you correctly. You have NO drive shafts between the transfer case and the axles? If that's correct then yea your not going to move. You need at least one drive shaft in order for the truck to roll. If I miss read what you said then please disregard.

Gunfreak25

Which driveshaft is there? E or D?

GMC 6X6 MECHANICALS

Driveshaft E will move the truck as it powers the middle tandem (axle).
Driveshaft D will not move the truck, it just powers the pillow block for the rear tandem.

Also. Are the rear outputs on the Tcase moving at all? If not, i'll bet the linkage for the IN OUT needs to be adjusted. With wear, the length of pull that the shifter shaft needs will increase. Or it will just spin in Neutral.

Last edited:

hippiedude

I know PDFs are had to deal with ... this guy on e-bay (milman61) has Tm 9-8024 for $30.00 .. Item # 350268102109 ..... Sounds like some ajustment issues ..........as long as you have the short shaft between trans. and tcase and one (1) complete rear drive shaft it should move ................. Buy the TM ....it`s a must have and a good price .............. Good luck ............ Tim

scjarena

Thanks for the tips. I do have driveshaft E in. I'll be checking the TC linkage since this truck was sitting for a long time so the linkage is sticking and needing oiling and the TC lever had been sitting in the disengaged position for a long time. Thanks

Gunfreak25

You may be thinking of the M35's, Tim. The GMC's all have mechanical linkage for the transfer IN/OUT shifter rod.

scjarena

Well, looks like everything looks good so far. While under the truck I oiled more of the linkage, while messing with the TC, I noticed the TC lever finally moved up and felt like it engaged in gear. I started the truck and put it gear and it jerked forward a little, but I need to work the brakes and a lot of other stuff before I attempt to drive it.

scjarena

Oh, by the way, if anyone has any driveshafts for sale, I'm looking for driveshafts, D and E, the two coming off the back of the TC. Somebody torched the splined end so they could roll the truck. If I can find the correct splined end, I could reweld in, a new splined end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks