• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb question about using gas in multifuel diesel

sp00n

I have searched but cannot find anyone trying to run STRAIGHT 87 octane regular gasoline in their multifuel deuce. I am asking because the one I am about to look at is about 70 miles from me and gas is almost 40 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel.

so.

Straight gas, will it work? EGTs stay acceptable? If not, what is a safe ratio of gas-diesel to mix?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It will work, but you'll get WAY LOW mpgs. I don't reccomend it by itself, hard on the IP and the trucks are REALLY hard to start on mostly gas. I can't imagine how hard it would be to start it on only gas. It might look cheaper, but I doubt it.

colelkhunter

i would think if you were worried about saving 40 cents a gallon to operate the deuce maybe it isn't such a good idea. fill it up with diesel and drive it home, period. then look into running WMO in the truck. Whole section on alternative fuel here. If you tear the truck up getting it home on gas to save 2.80 you should roll up a newspaper and smack yourself in the forehead. Truck should get somewhere near 10 miles to the gallon of diesel. So if you can't afford 10 gallons of diesel to get it home, stop before you start.

sp00n

Was just curious if it worked well on gas. I have a small amount of WMO stocked at home but I'm not fooling with carting it out to the pickup site.

Diesel it will be. thanks.

Westech

CPL
I ran out of fuel about 5 or 6 years ago going to Loacda56's house. The First gas station I coasted in to did not have diesel so I put about 20 gallons of gas and 1 quart of fresh motor oil. I can tell you the engine was warmed up and it still took me about 2 min or cranking to get her started! They do not like 100% gas at all. The EGT's are way lower Power is lower (thoe not much) and way way less MPG'S. Like what was stated above.. if your worried about saving fuel money.. just keep driving moms car.

davidkroberts

did you check and see if the FDC has been bypassed or not. There should be a sticker on the oil filter housing if it has. If so you dont need to run any exotic fuel mixes. If the sticker isnt around you still need to check the box in front of the injection pump and see if the low pressure fuel line is running from the box thing and into the injection pump or around the back in a bypass

sp00n

did you check and see if the FDC has been bypassed or not. There should be a sticker on the oil filter housing if it has. If so you dont need to run any exotic fuel mixes. If the sticker isnt around you still need to check the box in front of the injection pump and see if the low pressure fuel line is running from the box thing and into the injection pump or around the back in a bypass

Have not seen truck in person yet and I'm getting it from an individual that is not exactly an expert on these. I'll run diesel in it to get it home and examine the fuel setup.

Jake0147

I have searched but cannot find anyone trying to run STRAIGHT 87 octane regular gasoline in their multifuel deuce.
Yes it's been tried, and yes it will run. It doesn't like it though. I can't find it either right now, but A, gasoline was an "emergency fuel", and B, what you get at the pumps now was outside the criteria by a (probably) survivable margin, but still quite significant. Gasoline is much better blended with other things.

I am asking because the one I am about to look at is about 70 miles from me and gas is almost 40 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel.
You forgot one variable in your equation. Mileage. If I pick some numbers here for you.... If you get eight miles out of a gallon of diesel fuel and five and a half miles out of a gallon of gasoline, what is the least cost per mile? The better value?

so.

Straight gas, will it work? EGTs stay acceptable? If not, what is a safe ratio of gas-diesel to mix?
Will it work, yes. Will it save you money? Absolutely not. To break even, if diesel fuel is at $3.50 then the gasoline would have to be selling for just over two bucks. The cheapest fillup you'll get is straight diesel. Adding gasoline in any amount costs you money above and beyond the diesel fuel. Gasoline is better saved to mix in with heavier fuels to help stuff them through the fuel filters, and the rights and wrongs in that case do a much better job of averaging out.

Money aside, if you want to burn gas just to say you did and you're willing to pay for it... Up to twenty percent and you'll never know it's there. After that you kinda start to notice it but it builds up on you.... With higher concentrations it starts a little hard (not bad) and won't get out of it's own way. Not to mention not being able to drive past the next gas station.

Billy Bobbed

I havent put diesel in mine for about 6 months now,and when I did it wasnt much.Its not that I cant afford it Im just cheap.If I had to put diesel only in it I would.I've been running 20gl of gasoline to 5gl of WMO in summer and winter.I went out in 0 degree weather with the manifold heater it started up in about 15 sec. rough but running.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you are all missing one important point. if run on straight gas the ip will quickly fail. gas is only an emergency fuel when lives are at risk. it must be mixed with significant amounts of diesel to not cause any damage. fuel is the ONLY thing that lubes the ip piston which makes 6000 strokes per minute at 2000 rpm.

bugei

not to be difficult or anything, but......if gasoline is so "bad", why is there not one bit of note to that effect in any of the tm's? there is a specific warning about aviation fuel, but not one word of caution related to gasoline.

i have never driven mine on straight gasoline, but i have mixed with gasoline to cut down on the smoke when using it for strongman competitions in close area.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I drove deuces in the Army in 1970-71 we were told only to use MOGAS when we had to and to dilute it with diesel if possible due to wear on the IP. They get terrible mileage on gas and have a noticeable lack of power. Also hard to start. I never put gas in mine unless it is mixed with oil. 99% of my driving is on straight diesel.

Kalashnikov

I too made the mistake of running mostly gas. Truck would randomly stall sometimes as well as lack severe power compared to WMO. Very bad mileage which I completely fogot about. I ran out of fuel just as i turned into my driveway on a cold snowy night. This was actually 2stroke mix from a boat I was running. Got to the point where it'd only start with ether. I'll NEVER run gas again except to cut thicker fuels.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anyone ever read their basic -10 TM?
DH, the answer is NO, why do that, it is more fun to be adventures, like looking for the starter button, the engine kill, the M/C, where to drain the air tanks, or ????

emr

the scare of the ip going fast is just not known to be true, it is an opinion, gas gives it a higher engine pitch and is louder and mine ran just fine, is sure better mixed with diesel or any lubricant though that does just make sense, ive run some experimental mixes some distances and the starting and running was not bad at all,did not and did not want to run just gas though. just that louder pitch was torcher to me, it sure is primarily a diesel engine and that will give the best service and longest engine life for sure, but i do not think its going to blow because u did it a few times at all. there are some threads on the reason the ip is built for this and hardened where it counts, that is what i have heard , but mine is opinion with some limited experience, along with a few friends that used to call me from leave with the Air force and tell me storys of deuces in the dessert and the partying they did and they would go tear up the dessert and they thought that was the coolest because there were only gas stations out where they were. just sayin, :) but the TMs would rule for me now that i am reading these...now that i have read above i see i have read them a few times in the past, seems to me the ip is not something to worry about, but a hotter fire could burn a piston in severe use is the way i read it, moderate use i just can not see a prob at all, when needed to do....

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and did anyone notice that Used Motor Oils is NOT in the lists of Permissible fuels.:wink:

mbc

I,m am new to the deuce world but I can say my non turbo truck had a noticable differance in power when running about 5gal gas with 10gal of diesel.