• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb question

MarcusOReallyus

TMs are here.

Other useful manuals are here.

Helpful thread sticky is here.

Lots of good reading there. Do make sure to read ALL THE WAY THROUGH each thread, as there are a lot of ignorant comments that (mostly) get corrected later. For example, on the "Can someone explain isolated ground to me?" thread, the very first response is completely wrong. (It's a classic case of a little knowledge....)

But back to your question: As mentioned, they are both 12v, but they are slightly different than a standard alternator in that they are both isolated ground. Only the passenger side needs to be isolated, but to keep supply inventories simple, the Army made them both isolated. The driver's side is grounded normally to the chassis by a ground cable, instead of being grounded through the case like a normal alternator. The passenger side must NOT be grounded to the chassis. Smoke and fire and melted links will be the result. Fun stuff! :D

Isolated ground alternator

Hello--the alternator on the driver's side of my "86 M1009 is making a grinding noise while the engine is idling. The noise goes away when I put the blazer into Drive. I am anticipating replacing this alternator in the very near future. Any hints on the replacement process? Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unhook batteries , remove alternator , replace alternator, hook batteries back up .
Have you downloaded the the TM's that were provided to you in this thread
Dumb question

TM9-2320-289-20.pdf
TM9-2320-289-20 Unit maintenance manual for all variants CUCV.

Start reading at page 243 of the above posted pdf for step by step instructions.

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The passenger side must NOT be grounded to the chassis. Smoke and fire and melted links will be the result. Fun stuff! :D
That explains something that happened to me recently. I was in a rush changing belts recently, forgot to disconnect batteries and loosened the alternator. It grounded to the engine/chassis and there was smoke everywhere (engine crud?) and I saw a wire glow up like a light bulb! I almost **** my pants, disconnected batteries as fast as I could and emptied the fire extinguisher on the engine bay. I couldn't find anything else burned or otherwise damaged besides that 1 wire so I guess I got very lucky!

In short, be very careful handling that alternator!

Drock

The fact that it goes away when you put it in drive is suspicious? I'd remove the belt, then start & run it to see if the noise goes away.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged your two threads.

Next time please continue in one thread, like this.

And title descriptively.

the bearings are probably shot in the alternator and that is why it makes the grinding noise. It still produces electrical power, however, but the grinding seems to be getting worse. It just make sense to replace it, as it not that expensive.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the bearings should cost less than 10 bucks.

Correct isolated alternator cases are far and few between.

Do NOT give up your oem alternator. Rebuild it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not get rid of your oem alternator, rebuild it.

For about $40 total, you can rebuild your original alternator.

New, Chinese copies are not a good choice and many people have bought them only to find they are not isolated ground and burn up the wiring, because they did not test it first.

Guyfang

Staff member
That explains something that happened to me recently. I was in a rush changing belts recently, forgot to disconnect batteries and loosened the alternator. It grounded to the engine/chassis and there was smoke everywhere (engine crud?) and I saw a wire glow up like a light bulb! I almost **** my pants, disconnected batteries as fast as I could and emptied the fire extinguisher on the engine bay. I couldn't find anything else burned or otherwise damaged besides that 1 wire so I guess I got very lucky!

In short, be very careful handling that alternator!
Nothing like OJT!

Barrman

Check the bolts that hold the cast iron bracket holding the drivers side alternator to the engine. Then look under the #1 cylinder exhaust behind the power steering pump at the block. There should be an extension of the power steering pump mount bolted to the side of the block with a single bolt. Make sure that bolt is there. If it isn't, lots of idle noises come from that bolt missing. Power steering bracket breaking will also come from that bolt missing.

I know you wrote it is a grinding noise, but it going away when put in drive got me thinking of other causes of a noise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks