• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dummy covers

jimm1009

I have been looking for some old drive flanges for the front hubs that are worn out or damaged that could be made into dummy drive flanges without the splines.
I have to make a 200 mile trip and can not seem to find any flanges or other similar devices that are 6 1/4 inches or larger diameter that could be used for temporary covers.
I don't want to drive the truck for 200 miles and possibly in the rain with no protection for the bearings...goes against my aircraft mechanic breeding.
Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone else done this for getting their truck home. Pulling the front axle shafts is not going to be allowed on a military base and the cost of the locking hubs is not yet in the buget either as nice as they are.
Taking any and all suggestions.
Thanks
jimm1009@yahoo.com

Jones

Some of the members may be able to help with "highway" drive flanges and a set is really handy for just this kind of occasion. Getting a set and having the splines bored out might be easier than finding a set already machined. A cover could be machined out of billet but a stock set of flanges will keep the appearance of your vehicle more intact.

FrankUSMC

What time frame are you looking at to have the set? I have a set in the shed that still have the splines in them. I did this same thing years ago with a set of Dodge front hubs..
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 miles is not really a long trip. Might not be worth the effort to do this before you go get the truck. I have a set installed on one truck and it is nice but my other truck still has the stock flanges and with the front tires at max pressure, there is little difference on the highway. It's in the stop and go, in town, tight driving conditions that I notice it most. Are you driving or towing it home? 2cents

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once helped a firend recover a commercial tractor that had lost arear end on a tandem drive (rear). We droped the drive line & pulled the axel. Then took a plain old piecef plywood, "About" the size of the rear hub, placed it on top of the axle flange studs, smacked it with a hammer to imprint the stud pattern, & drilled them out. Plywood dust covers, re-bolted on there will do the job for 200 miles. Use some silicone, and it will be waterproof.

Lee in Alaska

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front spindle nuts stick out past the flange for the hub. Can't use just a flat piece, has to be dished/cupped to fit over the spindle.

I bought a spare set of flanges and bored the splines out. Works well, but takes tools and about 10 minutes to swap the splined hubs on for front wheel drive.

jimm1009

Would anyone have any broken axles shafts for the rear axles?
I would like to take a couple of broken shafts and remove the remaining shaft from the flange that mounts to the hub. I would then reinstall them on the 2nd rear axle, remove the short drive shaft, and drive it on the forward rear axle to get home. It is all level paved roads and no hills (The only hills in Louisiana are the bridges over the interstates or rivers). Perhaps this same flange would fit on the front if it had a relief hole bored into it for the axle shaft to exit through.
Thanks for all the input.
Jim

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also use a front hub to cover the back hub. I have this on both of my trucks, not as much tire wear. On the road isn't much problem, but off road you won't get far with just one axle driving.