• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump beds - using wood isolators?

Rattlehead

I am in process of making a dump trailer using a trailer frame and a deuce bed, but am not sure if I need to use wood sills, or isolators, between the bed and the trailer frame. What have you guys with custom dumpers done?

There are wood sills shown in the 809 series parts manual, but I seem to remember countless pics of dumpers without them. Even a 5 ton dump I found on here awhile back, no wood sills were present.

Whats the consensus, are they needed or not? Seems they would be a pain to keep in place, especially if trying not to drill the flange (horizontal portion) of the trailer frame. But they would reduce constant rubbing against it when driving.

Wild Horse Hans

Mine does not have them. I did not do the mod myself. It was done professionally when the old owner had it.
I don't notice anything out of the ordinary without them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over time the bed rails will rub and wear the frame rails if wood is not installed. It also cuts down on the noise of the bed movement when the frame flexes. I've seen plenty of dumps without the wood though.

Katch1

If it were my truck I would install them. I made a dump out of an old flatbed truck years ago, and the old boy helping me said he'd never put one together without them, and he really knew his stuff. I got mine from a local sawmill, red oak lasts a lifetime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks