Here's one by stretch44875. Here's the thread link http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/3104-dump-conversion-2.html
Had fun getting the bed up. Attached a chain to the front of the bed, and to a tree behind the deuce, about 12 feet up. Drove the deuce foward, and up went the bed!
I figured out what capacity lift I have. 6" dia, 29" stroke cyl. Lift has 8.5 feet of stroke. 6" cly has area of 28.2 in^. At 2000 psi that is 56548 pounds of force. 29" stoke to 8.5 feet is a 3.5 ratio, so force at lifting point is 16,156 pounds, or 8 tons. At 3000psi 12 tons. Then I only have to lift approx. 1/2 the load, so plenty of capacity. I knew that math had some purpose in life
And feel free to double check me, I am not sure if this is correct.
I am bolting the hinge to the bed instead of welding. I plan to add a dropside at sometime in the future, easier to change beds. Used 4 grade 8, 1/2 bolts per side.
The hubs that are for the shaft, of the hinge, are welded into holes in the frame on the outside and welded on the inside.
I am going to weld the hinges to the bar that goes through the frame, at the moment they are free to turn on the shaft. The shaft turns in the hubs I welded in. By welding I will eliminate the chance one hinge will turn without the other one, possibly tilting the bed to the side.
I don't think I will double the frame. Where the lift is going is right on top of a crossmember, that will stiffen it up some. The truck it came out of was doubled, but the deuce frame is thicker and wider than the truck's frame.
The bed is at 55 degress in the pic. Looks like I will get 60 to 65 degrees when I am done. The attachment points for the lift will be about 20in in from the front.
Well after many hours of work this weekend, I got the lift installed. The upper part of the lift is just tack welded for now, waiting for a friend to arc weld it. Figured I would let someone who knows what they are doing for the heavy welding, I haven't welding with an arc welder since high school.
The bottom of the lift is bolted to the frame with 3/4", grade 8 bolts.
Ended up with 60 degrees of lift. Lift is mounted in about the only good spot for stability and clearence.
The biggest time was spent on narrowing the lift. It was 1.5 inches too wide, had to cut the ends off, slide the tubes out, shorten them, put the tubes back in, and weld the ends back on. Not much fun when one tube is a 3", 1/4" wall pipe, and the other was 3/8" wall pipe.
Had to do some mild clearence work on the bed, will go back and reinforce where I cut. Also plan to box the bed frame, it is pretty thin channel.
So far I have made 10 1/2" holes, 4 3/4" holes, and 2 holes that where 2 3/4" dia. Had to buy a bigger drill! If you use enough lube, you can use a bimetal hole saw to cut through the frame. Takes a while! Next time I might cheat and get the torch out...
Looks like it will be a while before I can get back to it. Still need to mount the pump, pto, hydrualic lines, and put the lights back on.
Sorry about the quality of the pics, it was dark and raining out by the time I was done...
I did modify one crossmember slightly, just cut and bent the edge of one down some, and welded.
Got the pto, pto driveshaft, and hydrualic pump installed. Was going to install the tank and pump in the very back, but running the driveshaft was going to be a real pain. Wanted to keep the spare tire and air tanks in the orginal location, so to say the least, I didn't have much space left.
The tank has the pump inside of it. I put it next to the air tanks, inbetween the frame rails. Needed to chain drive off the pto driveshaft. The driveshaft has very tight clearences, had to grind the corners off the 7/8 square driveshaft to clear some bolts and braces. Also cut the ends off some bolts flush with the nuts.
Made up a frame to fit around the tank, and used allthread to adjust it up and down for chain tension.
Had to get the right size yoke for PTO end of the driveshaft. Had to shorten the driveshaft some.
The tank barely fits under the bed, when the bed is down, it will fit inbetween the bed framerails, up into the bed crossmembers.
Still have to install hoses, cable for valve, shifter for pto, and tailights.
Very tight between the pto shaft and the spare tire, I may have to move the spare out a inch or 2. Modifed the 4 bolt pillow bearing into a 3 bolt for a little more clearence.