• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumping feature

dodgerex

Just to start off, i know the M101 A2 isn't meant to dump, But... i picked up 1 1/2 yards of mulch today and wanted to give it a try. Nada, didnt work, i put both breaks on and pulled the pins, put the jeep in reverse and gave it gas. the tires held for the most part, moved a little, but it did not dump, is it possible something is rusted in the hinge area?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it isn't designed to dump, it would be a good assumption that the mounting bolts are rusted or too tight.

I've seen a few trailer that broke while the owner tried to use it as a dump.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pulled the pins
What pins?

in the hinge area
The hinges use bolts. The hinge only allows it to let the front of the box get closer to the ground.

Read the TM.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it isn't designed to dump, it would be a good assumption that the mounting bolts are rusted or too tight.

I've seen a few trailer that broke while the owner tried to use it as a dump.
:ditto:

The hinges will break if you try and dump too big of a load.

quickfarms

You need to loosen the pivot bolts that are on the frame just ahead of the spring hanger. You also need to remove the tailgate. The spring hanger tabs will eventually break because they are at an angle and the dumping is putting stress on them

goldneagle

Maybe you should have gotten one of those crank type unloaders. They go on the cargo bed first then you put cargo on top of it. There is a crank near the tailgate that drags the tarp towards the rear and the mulch would drop out as you bring it back.

Search loadhandler on Ebay.

MarcusOReallyus

So, an action that has been known to BREAK a trailer is something you just thought you'd try for giggles?

Okay.... Whatever floats your boat. It's your trailer.

Here's a tip:

1. Set your parking brakes (not breaks).
  2. Unfasten the tailgate and suspend it on the chains.
  3. Jack up the front of the trailer till the tailgate touches the ground. (A farm jack works great for this.)
  4. Watch the mulch dump (mostly) out of the trailer, while enjoying the fact that you aren't breaking it.
  5. Use a garden rake to get the rest of the mulch out.

MarcusOReallyus

After reading the immature reputation comment you left for me, and re-reading the thread, I'm wondering if you missed the fact these trailers do NOT have a "dumping feature". Some people have that idea, but they are wrong. These trailers are not designed to dump by setting the brakes and backing up. Yes, I know a well-known surplus dealer advertises them that way. That surplus dealer wrong.

The pivot feature is there so that the tongue can be dropped down to facilitate storing or shipping a lot of trailers in a small space - they drop the tongues and shove the the trailers together in long rows.

It's NOT made for dumping.

Yes, you CAN get it to dump. Many people have. Many people have also broken their trailers doing this. The pivot point is NOT made for that kind of stress, and it's not at the correct angle.

It's all in the TM. It has already been suggested that you read it. That was good advice.

The advice I have given is the procedure I use. When I have a load of something dumpable, that's what I do. It works well enough, and it doesn't run the risk of breaking my trailer. If you don't have a farm jack, seriously consider getting one. They are amazingly useful.

If you think advice on how to avoid breaking your trailer is "useless", why are you here? Why even ask for advice? Just go do what you did the first time, but apply more power. That always works. Something will give sooner or later.

dodgerex

well im glad it did not work anyways, i noticed the brake line would of broke as well, and since my surge brakes work and i love them i dont want to do anything to lose them. I dont see my self ever really needing to dump anything, just use a little back muscle and two young boys to help unload any thing that I may have in there.

MarcusOReallyus

just use a little back muscle and two young boys to help unload any thing that I may have in there.
I use pretty much the same method most of the time, except that I use 3 big teenagers. :D

I mostly haul big rounds of wood from a log processor (for firewood), and it doesn't dump well anyway. The odd load of wood chips or manure get the farm jack under the tongue treatment.

:beer:

dodgerex

I cant wait till my boys are older and can really help out. right now they are 5 & 2 so im still doing 99% of the work. but its fun to watch them try to help.

when you say farm jack, are you talking about a Hi-lift jack? and where do you put it?

MarcusOReallyus

I cant wait till my boys are older and can really help out. right now they are 5 & 2 so im still doing 99% of the work. but its fun to watch them try to help.
Yeah, but they sure slow you down at that age! :D But they are worth it.

when you say farm jack, are you talking about a Hi-lift jack?
Yes sir! It's well worth the money. And get the brand name on this one - the way they join the handle to the mechanism sets them apart from the knock-offs (like Big Red's version). Take a look and I think you'll see what I mean. Think about side loading on the handle.

and where do you put it?

To carry? I just toss it in the trailer for now. A mount for it on the side is on my to-do list. It will have to be lockable!

For jacking, I just put it under the front edge of the trailer. Can't get enough lift by jacking the tongue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks