• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumpster truck backed into my M1009!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the parking lot have video surveillance? If so I'd look into getting a copy of that days events and make it known to the insurance company that you have it and you'll be keeping it for your records. That will make them just a little less-likely to try any shenannigans down the line like a phone call that goes something like this:
<you> "Hello, I had one of your trucks back into my vehicle last month and I'd like to know when I'll be paid for my damages?"
<shifty insurance agent> "Damages?... According to my report there was no damage to your vehicle that wasn't pre-existing, and we don't pay for that."
I only mention this because it happened to a friend's dad. The company that owned the truck didn't wanna buy him a new tailgate to replace the one thier truck destroyed, so we went to the property owner, got the video footage loaded onto a USB Flash drive and e-mailed the clip of his truck gettting backed into to his insurance agent, and the disposal company's claims division. 4 days later, his 2009 Dodge pickup had a new tailgate with no argument.
This is quite literally the best advice I've seen. AND IT'S GOOD ADVICE.

If you do NOT need to show the insurance company that video, great.

HOWEVER some companies do NOT keep surveillance longer than one week or one month, UNLESS requested.

This is the same advice I give every CCW holder - IF they are ever involved in a shooting and they did nothing wrong - there are security camera's EVERYWHERE.

but the ability to keep months worth of video is not seen as necessary. NOW is the time to get that copy.

And hopefully you won't need it. But like a CCW, need it and NOT having it is worse than having it and NOT needing it.

just my .02

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
islandguydon said:
Since it was parked your comp will cover you.
Sorry but that is an incorrect statement. Comp is for "non-collision" damages. This was a collision even though he was parked at the time another vehicle "collided" with his vehicle. Another example is if you're driving down the road and hit a large rock. If the rock was stationary in the road it is a "collision." If the rock was rolling down off a hill and still moving when you hit it then it is a "comp loss" as it is considered "an act of GOD" as GOD, gravity, an animal or some other natural thing outside your control caused the loss. If Pawnshop has to turn this in to his ins company then they would handle it under collision. I had 10 years as an auto ins claims adjuster, trainer, and manager so I have a pretty good idea of which I speak.

Sounds like the other company is stepping up. As the driver admitted hitting it there shouldn't be an issue unless he's not listed as a driver on their policy and then that's a whole other can of worms.

Pawnshop

I talked to them this morning and they told me to get an estimate and fax it in, which I will do tomorrow. So far everything is smooth and I don't anticipate any troubles.

Pawnshop

I got the estimate yesterday, $2135!!! TDS is going to pay for the repairs rather than cut a check, the work starts Monday and was estimated to take one week. We still have not discussed a rental car since this IS my daily driver.

DeucesWild11

Too bad, I would have taken the check and done the touchups myself.. That way you have a few extra $$ in the bank.. Well looks like you'll get some new rubber for the window though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're probably betting you won't get it repaired so offer "repairs only." Make sure you let them know you need an appropriate rental not just the cheapest thing Enterprise has. While they may not go with a "comparable vehicle" they still need to take in to consideration your comfort as a driver.

3dAngus

The rental car might be the only issue. If the manager came out, and is involved, you should not have any issues at all with payment covering actual cost of repairs. Anything else is negotiable, and sometimes out of their control. Glad you have a cool head about you.

Some people just seriously overreact to these things and think the worst. Chit happens. Not worth calling a lawyer over. Everybody is NOT out to get us as you apparently know.
A police repport is the single best thing one could get when this does happen, and photos come in second. Good luck with it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A police repport is the single best thing one could get when this does happen, and photos come in second. Good luck with it.
Typically the police will not come out to a vehicle accident on private property unless there is an injury involved (same with an attorney since there is no big payout like there might be with an injury claim). Everything here seems to be going towards a positive conclusion. If Pawnshop wanted to make an issue over just getting paid for the damages he probably could but I'd just get it fixed and be done with it.

Make sure the body shop uses the pink paint layer before they put the 383 on though or it won't be "Pinky" any more.

3dAngus

They will come out to private property in Ga. They will go to anywhere there are two cars in an accident, as a service to the community, regardless. It keeps the gunshots down. :-o

I have even had them come out without issue in a one car accident on two different occasions. Sounds like I'm accident prone huh? Not all mine though. They give a report every time for insurance purposes. Just a part of their duties. They even come out on my private property to record serial numbers on MVs for Ga. DMV purposes. Never knew we were so special. :eek:

No seriously, I and my sons, collectively, have had it done several times without issue. I guess it varies state by state.

I see the OP lives in Texas too. 258 counties in Texas, but a ton of unincorporated land. Maybe that's the reason.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I dropped Pinky off to the body shop Monday afternoon and drove home in a 2011 Ford F-150 with four doors and cold A/C. The repairs were done by 1700 Friday much to my dismay (I was hoping to keep the F-150 through the weekend, dammitt), but they did a good job. Yesterday morning as I was getting in to go to work I noticed several circular marks on the driver's door and it took me a minute to realize what they were: suction cup marks! The guys at the shop also pulled out most of the GL forklift dents! The body shop was not going to try to match the 383 so I got them to pay for a case of paint from Rapco and did it myself this afternoon.

The F-150 served us well Thursday when M813rc, Buckshot29 and I went to Gatesville and Killeen on a surplus crawl along with a couple of other OD Freaks. It was a GOOD day, we found a Honey Hole that we will be visiting frequently in the future, as well as a good eating spot!

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
now that looks better than before.. real nice... i wonder if you will be parking by the dumpster again... maybe facing the other way as in the other side sticking out:tinkerbell:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pickup was indeed comfy (and since it was 107* Thursday, I was thankful for the A/C), but glad to see Pinky back.
Looks like they did good work, the bumper seems nice and straight. [thumbzup]

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks