• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax in a m35a2

nathanaelslosson

Does anyone have any info on putting a Duramax in an m35a2? I am looking into the engine swap along with putting the 6-speed auto? I would greatlyapreciate any ideas or info...

Blood_of_Tyrants

The only big mod I can thing of is the radiator mount and putting an electric cooling fan on it.

You would have to have motor and tranny mounts fabbed up of course.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the tough part would be getting all the electronics hooked up. I think the swap would be much easier with a mechanical IP engine.

I'm not a big fan of the Duramax But that's mainly just a personal preference. I'd much rather go with a 5.9 Cummins. :D

Alredneck

Banned
5.9 has been done quite a few times on here. Tried and true!

Get with Humslr, he lives not far from me down here in Shelby County Area, actually met him the other day when I was picking up my paychecks from a company I haul scrap rubber for. Good Folk
He hasnt put one in a deuce but has some in Humvees which are a bit tighter under the hood.

nathanaelslosson

I'm going with the bobbed style . I am going to drive the truck quite a bit. I really like the thought of going AM General truck with GM drivetrain also the 6-speed auto is a plus.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. Keep us posted. Everyone has their preferences, but I personally like the Duramax. I had one in my old 2003 Chevy 2500HD pickup.

Burgerboy13

You may run into problems with the length of the drive line and connecting it to the transfer case. If you move the transfer case back you will run into problems with the drive shaft angles, especially on a bobber.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are thinking right. The modern motors being considered come with P/S pumps and A/C compressors built into the equation.

Making the deuce a daily driver is a very do-able project!

Rick

spicergear

Go for it! The electronics will be some time sorting out but the overall end result package will be really, really a good set up. You'll probably have about the highest HP deuce around as well. I had one in my '02 GMC and that engine did very well even when the world was running out of thick air pulling an 11,000 lb load up over Donner Pass. You *should* have steering shaft clearance but it will be close. I got my V8 cat to squeeze in so you should be able to get the D-max in there. One guy mentioned driveshaft length...it would be interesting to know the overall length of the D-max and Allison though- I can't imagine them being longer since the multifuel itself once pulled looks feels like it's 6' long...

mudguppy

if you want to keep the intercooler behind the OE headlight corner buckets then you will run out of length. you can only gain about 3" of drivetrain length by moving the transfer rearward until you run into the cross member between the trans/transfer. once that is deleted, you'll have indefinite room for transmission, but moving the transfer too far rearward will get you into driveshaft issues if the truck gets lifted.

if you don't lift the truck, you can go pretty far rearward w/ the 'case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks