• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax vs Cummins HMMWV Conversions

erasedhammer

What are the pros and cons of each engine? I'm specifically talking about the predator conversions that they offer.

Lets hear some arguments for each side!

snowtrac nome

what's wrong with the 6.5 turbo engine, it propelled up armored rigs around pretty darned good. The dirtymax might fit better being a v-8 but why would you change to drive by wire ,on a vehicle intended to drive in deep water. If you want to,burn all 4 tires what is your plans for differentials and axles. A 4 b reliably will make about the same as a 6.5 turbo diesel so why do it. A 6b would just be too long, Those are my opinions, just like backsides every one has one, and I think mine is the only one that doesn't stink. Now if you want to do it because you can, than go ahead, but anything other than a 6.5 turbo diesel, I don't feel will improve the vehicle overall

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
with either swap you can just hand someone your wallet and all your bank account info because your going to spend it all. Chris (SteelSoldiers) has pics of his cummins swap he did himself. Made all the brackets and mounts.

ryanruck

Not my truck. Got the pics from a surplus dealer in KY. Truck belongs to one of his customers.

Has a 6bt in it. Needed a bit of a lift to fit it. No details beyond that.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

tomelroy

Keep one HMMWV all stock for the purist, but if you have more than one HMMWV I would go with a lbz 6.6 with allison 6 speed auto.. That is my plan. I will keep everything else stock looking. The Dmax sounds more like a 6.5 that the loud cummins. Then when I am driving down the road and people are passing me while I am cruising at 60 mph I will just tap the throttle and rocket past them at 80 plus.... Dont get me wrong i lover my 2011 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel Truck , but for the HMMWV i just want the 6.6 with the 6 speed.

https://youtu.be/G8zDCT-E6No

HETvet

From the LBZ up to the L5P, the long block and heads are basically the same. Turbos are slightly different. The LBZ had no emissions equipment on them, LMM had EGR, LML EGR/DPF/SCR. The LMM and LML had CP4.2 Injection pumps, LMM had pizeo (spellcheck) injectors.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the pros and cons of each engine? I'm specifically talking about the predator conversions that they offer.

Lets hear some arguments for each side!
I HATE CUMMINS SWAPS! DEEP HATRED! Hate them in LandCruisers. Hate them in HMMWV's.

Always fitment issues. Always need to jack up springs and lift body to make the f'ing things fit. Always gotta avoid an axle. ALWAYS MACHINING SOME ****ED THING that can't be found or has become "unobtainium".

On the other hand... Duramax with an Allison looks like fun, parts are available, kits are available, and I think cheaper in the short and long run.

Not sure why this thread was awakened. It was quiet since 2/11/2017.

Someone looking to do a swap soon?

HETvet

I haven’t been on the site for a while. And in trying to refresh my memory for a swap I’m advising on, I came across this post, which the OPs question never got answered. So I figured I would answer if for them.

Just from a maintainance standpoint the P-pumped Cummins 6BT wins hands down. Nothing worse than having to fix some leaking injectors that are buried under valve covers that are also buried under half of the dash. (I've had to do that to a few Duramax diesels.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks