• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duuane's M135 repower thread

DUUANE

Hi everyone.
I'm starting this thread as repository for information around the repower of my M135 with a pre '86 two piece rear main seal small block chev/ allison MT653 combo as well as the issues and solutions reached to get there. I'll do my best to log the good, the bad, and the hillariously ugly along the way. I hope you all enjoy the fun as much as i will.

DUUANE

Lets get the ball rolling

Here is the allison MT653DR ill be using in all its glory.
It measures 40" from where the flexplate mounts up to the torque converter drive plate to the center of the u-joint in the yoke thats currently bolted to the output shaft.
The stock 302M hydra-matic measures 36.5" +/- as i had no helper today.
So there is room to play with..there may be a better yoke that is a little shorter or that will take the stock u-joint directly..i would like to find that.
Does anyone know the u-joint series or parts cross and could you post it here please?
For a v8 conversion there looks to be a lot of room..fore and aft as well as for pan clearance..
I have a flywheel housing on the way..and i am trying to source a flywheel locally.
Unfortunately i think the 302 is too long to work with the MT653DR but it would be doable without the deep reduction housing.
I have a few choices for engines here..havnt really got that far yet. I have a decent pair of vortec heads under the bench for this job.
My objective is a solid reliable truck with enough power to do what we need it to do and also be able to have some modern maintenance part compatibillity for over the road use.
Im pretty sure all this info will apply for those that wish to use a 292 chev to retain the inline 6 sound and look. The bellhousing pattern is the same and the fore/aft location of the side engine mounts i think is also the same.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUUANE

Well heres one of the first steps in any restoration..rotting in the DMV waiting for the registration search..everyone cross their fingers ..hahaha. I never spend a dime beyond the purchase price and towing until this step is complete.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well heres one of the first steps in any restoration..rotting in the DMV waiting for the registration search..everyone cross their fingers ..hahaha. I never spend a dime beyond the purchase price and towing until this step is complete.
What's the verdict with registration? My M135 was previously registered so the process was a breeze. Not an ocean breeze....but still a breeze. Any good news?

DUUANE

Well i guess the good news is it didnt come up stolen ...it was previously registered so letter written and registered mail sent. From this point the PRO has 30 days to respond and compensate me for my capital outlay in recovering his equipment + storage fee's..or sign it over..or do nothing..best case is the PRO has moved on from the registered address and the letter comes back unopened..then its off to a combination autoplan/notary shop for the final pull..if you have to do it at different locations they gouge you for the notary service i've found..

And now.....we wait.. *rubs hands..twiddles thumbs*

DUUANE

Ok..so 30+ days later no response from the PRO..so next chance i get ill be heading over to the notary to finnish the process..thats the latest on the registration side..

DUUANE

Cylinder inspection..the before

So i had some time to play around this weekend finally so i drained the 3/4 gallon of water and nasty oil out of the sump..went up top and pulled the plugs and tried to get some half decent before pjcs for you all with my handy new 2 for $25 USB endoscope..
The pics are cylinders 1 through 6 in order..not horrible..but not great at the same time..i wasnt able to get before pics on the buda LO525 so i dont have a guage for how bad it was.
I'm working days for the next 3 days so i thought id wait to do the chemical treatment and work on trying to get the valves freed up so i can (hopefully) rotate the bottom end without doing any (more) damage. Id like to get the side covers off and see whats going on in there as well, if the pushrods are bent or what..i will update as i can get time.

Attachments

DUUANE

Maybe if the admins have a spare minute they can merge my As promised thread with this one to tidy things up a bit.

Thanks

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merging those posts would be good because I can't recall whether you still have that old transmission. There are two guys right below you that are hungry to tear on old hydromatic apart. Still got it?

Sounds like you could write a book on the administrative challenges getting one registered. 30 days is up, what's the next step?

With the rust evident in the pictures,,,,,do you think it could be prevented by overfilling the piston cylinders with oil when the trucks get parked long term? I think many guys must park their trucks hoping to get back at them and never do. If they could be encouraged to pull out the spark plugs and fill the cylinders for long term storage, would that be enough to save an engine?

How's the weather over there? We saw a cold storm coming to you but I'm not sure where it went. Looks like you guys are just warm and soaking in it.

DUUANE

Yes the stock transmission is still in it. The next step (for BC registration) is to go to a notary and swear an affa davit stating that all reasonable attempts have been made to locate, contact and inform the PRO(hence the registered letter) to no response.
Then with the search package and affa davit in hand its off to autoplan to register and pay the tax.

I think if i was going to store an engine for an extended period of time i would remove the plugs and shoot in a dozen or so squirts of chevron meropa 680 oil. Then with plugs out crank the engine over a few times..antisieze the threads on the plugs and reinstall.
Meropa 680 is the old ford spec 600w oil.(yes 600w..not a typo) i have it in the diffs, tcase and steering box of my 42 ford F60L CMP..its designed to stay on the gear surfaces and is hydrophobic..origionally designed for steam cylinders. Its also specd for worm drive winch service.

CMPPhil

Hi

Comment on storing engines, for some reasons criteria really like these straight six engines, so remember to seal all openings. I've had them store Decon pellets and acorns in, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, coolant inlets and outlets. I use duck tape and workshop rubber gloves. The gloves work surprisingly well.

Cheers Phil

DUUANE

Youre absolutely right Phil..its amazing how small a hole mice can get through..duct tape..bits of old hoses clamped with bolts jammed in them and pallet wrap if you have it.

DUUANE

Well..well...well...

Good things do come to those that wait.. my wife informed me this afternoon that the registered letter i sent has returned to our p.o. box. If it is unopened then the process is the same..take UNOPENED returned letter and registration search package to notary..swear affa davit..pay notary,pay transfer fee,pay tax..done like dinner.

DUUANE

Well.to update things here..work has been demanding most of my time and the terrible weather has made things difficult in the yard. I have to go pick up a gallon of semi gloss medium base paint and get it tinted before work tomorrow so no chance to play in the yard. Weather permitting im going to work on the stuck valves this week.

DUUANE

Cylinder inspection..continued..

Ok so heres the latest on the happenings around the shop..the boy and i stripped down the suburban and pulled the engine/trans so the donor for the 135 is out. We also have 90% of the work done to remove the tired 7.3/zf 5 in my F450 so it can get a fresh(er) 6.9 with a singlemass..that 'ol girl has 575,000km on the clock..but it was using a liter of oil per trip ..long past time.
The temps here have been below 0°C so i havnt wanted to leave the rust juice in the cylinders..
As soon as it warms up and rains for a few days ill get out there with the kewl-aide so we can see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks