• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early 725?

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys I have had this truck for a while but a buddy of mine just commented today that he thinks its an early truck. I do not know the history of it but it is realy mint with 16000 org miles and looks new. There is one spot on the front bummper that I hit a tree with and thats the only mark on the whole truck. The paint and tires and even the rubber door seals are like new. I think it spent its whole life inside until I got it. There is nothing on the dash plate but one number and its 10041 there is nothing else anywhere. Does anyone know if this is an early truck? Thanks Eddy

Attachments

oilcan

Go poke around M715zone.com for a few minutes. They have a pretty big database of vin numbers, and descriptions of the different parts that were put on the early trucks. A bunch of good people over there, too.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks oilcan I did not know that site was there I went there and there is so much info I am little lost. I guess I have too many MVs to keep up with it all. Thanks again you are one of the guys that make this site so great to be on. Eddy

Barrman

The theory is that number 10001 was the first truck off the line in 1967. Yours isn't far behind. Is there a build date on the data plate?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The white letters are the Unit Number. It is possible that someone has "restored" the truck and installed new dataplates.

You can check the vin number to see if it is correct for the frame.. The number is also stamped on the passenger side of the frame in two places.

1. on the frame next to the radiator support. There is a short diagonal brace and the number is in front of it.
2. on the frame behind the right rear tire. It is on top and requires a mirror to see it.

The locations are posted on the Zone with examples.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hood letters are kinda like your SSN, they are the vehicle's "ID", it doesn't tell where it's been but it should carry the same hood number throughout it's whole military career.

10041 indicates a manufacture date early in 1967. There are some M715s on the Zone that puts that 10040-10050 range somewhere in February 1967. If it's correct, it is one of the first M725s still in existence....

My old M725 had a number of 10625, putting it in August of 1967.

67Beast

I know the markings are not original. As they are a set that I made. That M725 was restored by a guy named Jeff who was living in Michigan, but I think has now moved to the mid west somewhere. He also restored a Goat that I did markings for also. I cannont remember if those where the correct numbers or numbers he made up. I know the set on the goat was made up but it's been around 4 or 5 years since I made those decals. If I remember correctly the bumper numbers where his old unit numbers.

Last edited:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys the truck is real dirty so don't flame me too much I use the old girl. Here are some more pictures. I have another question how can I hook up a tow bar as I cannot connect the feet the way the front cleves;s are attached. Eddy

Attachments

sojourner

Wow, that is a great looking m725!
It looks to be a very early model.
You can see all the vin #s registered on the zone' along with detailed description of all the markings

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck.

In order to use a towbar for the M715 series trucks you need the "special" adapters made just for these trucks. I just happen to have one at my desk. Here is a picture.

You can find them on Fleabay every once in awhile.

Attachments

kvflyer

I assume it is drop forged? If I ever find my picture album in this mess of a house, I have a picture of an M715 that was being towed. We were on the way from Ft. Sill, OK to Blanding, UT. It was snowing and one of the guys rear-ended another truck. At the time, I was driving a 5-ton long bed with a gas engine. Talk about lack of power!

moose3d

Nice looking M725. Mine is serial # 10020 and the only other stamp on the data plate is the year 67, no month just the year. picked it up in Massachusetts this winter, had 9886 original miles on it with stock engine.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks