• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early GM GP MV prototype

earnie

what weve got here is
the predesessor to the gamma goat
she probably would have made it somewhere if ralph nader did not kill the corvair
kind of in a ugly way it is kinda neat
however it is like the old addage
" BIG GIRLS AND MOPEDS = FUN TILL YOUR FREINDS FIND OUT "

jimmy-90

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen as well!!! I used to drive articulated haulers/off road dump trucks such as volvo and caterpillars. That thing is really really similar. I noticed that it didn't say you could tip the bed section of the truck all the way over on it's side with the cab still upright and uneffected like you can with an off road dump truck though. Wonder if they would give you tags for something like that or if it would just fall into the tractor category ??? Anyhow I really dig the cab over engine design....LOL just imagine that thing with a cummins in it!!!

watkinssr

I used to collect Corvairs, that thing was awesome. The design of those cars were ahead of their time...

The factory got as much as 180 hp out of that little air cooled 164 cid six cylinder...and the motor weight 175 pounds or so fully equipped.

Crash_AF

That's a very cool concept, I wonder if any survived or if GM scrapped them after testing.

I was also rolling when they were driving the front around without the bed... that was just funny. It kind of reminds me of the MK48 only in small form. They said it would run down the highway at 'comparable' commercial vehicle speeds, so I would assume that it would be registered as a truck.

Later,
Joe

OL AG '89

I want one!!!!

I got a buddy who knows a guy who dated a girl who's dad has a bunch of corvairs......
I wonder if he'd let me borrow a motor for a little build time.......

What a GREAT concept, truck by day and swap out the rear, LIMO by night.....

fokkerc1

I have worked on Vairs since '70. I had read about this beast in a book on HumVee's, but there was no photo. I still have 3 Vair engines, including a Yenko stage 2 spec engine. My coupe was a flood car once, so it has assumed Fred Flintstone status with the floor and quarter panels. My 1st M1009 wasn't that bad, and I scrapped it. [thumbzup]

saddamsnightmare

June 29th, 2010.

PRETTY COOL! I was never a fan of the Corvair, as my family had one of the station wagons and it was never able to start below +35*F from new. BUT this truck would have been almost as useful as the GAMA Goat, and would have been the forerunner of the CUCV's.... I wonder way GM axed it, as it could not have had the stability issues the car had with FWD there would have been either two live axles or an arrangement like the Mighty Mite? I bet GM scrapped the AGL just like the electric cars..... No use being known for having a good idea that works.:confused:

Just my .02 worth, but a fascinating truck....:twisted: