• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early LDT turbo

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I've searched and searched. I know there's threads that talk about this turbo but just can't seem to find them.

I picked up a deuce today at Redstone that has a LDT 465 with a turbo that's not a "C" or a "D". The exhaust side is very similar to a "C" but it has a larger compressor and it doesn't whistle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Chris said, that is the turbo from an LDS427. Looks like a whistler, doesn't whistle= silent whistler.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny and Gimpy. Since I now know what to search for I've found several threads. I knew I'd seen a pic of one before.

After reading up on it, several people are of the opinion that this is the best turbo to have on a LDT 465.

tm america

ya thats the same turbo i have on my truck..it is the best one they put on a ldt. mine makes around 27psi of boost...of course i have my fuel turned up a little..but many people report boost of 20 plus with this set up..

Turbo Detroit

Actually that is model number 3ld-305 has a 12 blade exducer twin scroll design...It dosent whistle as the whistler because of the shape and the way the scrolls direct the exhaust around the turbine....i recently rebuilt one and it really cleaned up the LDS-465-1a multifuel...and it doesent whistle at all was designed more for power than just to clean up exhuast...Daves shit 240.jpgDaves shit 242.jpgDaves shit 249.jpgDaves shit 251.jpg

scooter01922

Looks EXACTLY like the one on my LDS427, strangely enough i have the same turbo on my LDT465. Good turbos IMO, moves plenty of air, enough turbo sound to let you know its there but not make you deaf like a C will.

Turbo Detroit

They used whatever turbos the motor pool had laying around or new in box...so any one of the turbos could have been on any of the multifuel engines when they were sold at gov auction....And yea it whistles some but not nearly as loud as the whistler....Im currently rebuilding a 3lj-319 Schwitzer Turbo to put on my M1028....Gota love the whistle

JasonS

All of the LDS turbo model numbers start with a "4" (ie. 4" frame): LDS427-2= 4D-454C. LDS-465-1= 4-456. LDS465-1A= 4LE-354. LDS465-2= 4LE-456. The LDT turbo model numbers start with a "3" (presumably, 3" frame). 3LD-305, 3LJ-319 (whistler), 3LM-39 (D).

Turbo Detroit

If that was the case then instead of the turbos interchangeing with all of the mulitfuel engines they would only fit there designated engines...All of the turbos ore a T-6 Frame or large frame turbos...they will interchange with any T-6 Turbo..Holset ht-6 Schwitzer Ht3b...etc...etc... thats only the model numbers of the turbo.....

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can peg the 15 PSI gauge on my D turbo which is the 3LM-39. I'm guessing i might make 20 PSI of boost. If there was a bigger turbo that was designed to make more power, that would be fun... but I am still happy with what I have right now. Good read though! :goodjob:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks