• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Earth Roamer or M109? I'll take a M109!!!

bryan70546

Like I said, they can't build a decent trans to save their life. The C6 is a great model, Nissan built their Jatco by copying the same hydraulics, but they quit building C6s back in the 80s because they were not making enough on repairing them. Go figure! Now you have the 4R100W that might last 100k miles, but really needs multiple mods to be considered true HD-gear. GM has the 4L80E that blows away the 4R100W, but that was still not good enough, so now they have Allison doing their transmissions. Like I said, I am a GM man, and just slightly proud of it :razz:
:cookoo:

cyberspace_7

50shooter - When I saw the pics I thought to myself..." I bet that is a $100K out fit.."
Funny, that was what I thought...I told my wife that it was probably a $75,000 to maybe a $100,000 rig (rich persons toy)! When I looked it up, I was really surprised! It is a super rich mans toy!!!

As far as the tires...the ones on the truck were getting pretty low tread life left...dang near slicks! I was thinking, the first thing I would do would be new tires! Second! OD PAINT JOB!:mrgreen: She also needs some Jerry cans (just for character).

blybrook

One of these things pulled into Fairbanks, AK in the past 48 hours. It was parked outside the local Ford Dealership overnight; it had different tires on it then the one you had pictured and the spare was completely shredded! The tires on this one were heavy duty off road wide tires, at least 33". I didn't have a camera (other than my phone, which sucks) to get any shots of it.

Looks like they just came down the Dalton highway by the way the tire was shredded.

If it is still there when I go home tonight, I'll try to swing by and get a few shots of the damaged tire.

Personally, I'd go with the M109 anyday! Easier to work on and don't have a dang computer telling the engine what it should be doing. Doubt that newer rig will survive one of our winters with it's current configuration.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of these things pulled into Fairbanks, AK in the past 48 hours. It was parked outside the local Ford Dealership overnight; it had different tires on it then the one you had pictured and the spare was completely shredded! The tires on this one were heavy duty off road wide tires, at least 33". I didn't have a camera (other than my phone, which sucks) to get any shots of it.

Looks like they just came down the Dalton highway by the way the tire was shredded.

If it is still there when I go home tonight, I'll try to swing by and get a few shots of the damaged tire.

Personally, I'd go with the M109 anyday! Easier to work on and don't have a dang computer telling the engine what it should be doing. Doubt that newer rig will survive one of our winters with it's current configuration.
I saw that one this morning on my way to work. I wanted to stop and get a picture, but i didnt have time. I'm curious as to why it's been parked next to the ford dealer on that cul-de-sac. Problems perhaps? Usually when the RV'ers park for a stay the area and vehicles just look inhabited. This one did not. I'll try for a pic too if it's still there tonight.

Sweet trucks, but I'm wondering who buys these things? That price is amazing. For the money not only could you build a nice RV or three if you were so inclined, but you could buy something else that's comparable in comfort and capability. Look at the Unimog based expedition RVs. Expensive too, but for the money you'd get more vehicle and more room inside.

blybrook

Took a look for the rig last night, it was missing from near the dealership and didn't see it parked in any of the parking lots, so it could be in the shop for some reason or they've moved on down the road...

Oh well, was interesting to see where technology is going for those that can afford the repair bills (after initial cost that is)...

I'll stick to the tried and true non computerized vehicles...

maynard83

for the money you'd be better off with one of these

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

otherwise if you don't have rediculous amounts of money a deuce is the way to go - that's my plan anyways

The cheapest vehicle from Unicat will run you $350,000.00 before shipping over to the US, and that is for a used one. Even if you go for just one of their used boxes to install on your deuce it is going to run you well over $200,000.00.
So a deuce is definately the way to go.

The Gimlis

Those high $$$ rigs are nice, very nice, too nice. We have taken "Army Bob" all over the place and have scratched the heck out of the paint but we wear those scratches like badges of honor. When you pay soooooo much money for one of those, I can imagine the look of horror when you hear that big ol branch *screeeeching" down the side. Also, if we ding or mark up something inside, oh well. Sometimes those fancy smancy rigs are really "look at me, look at me and my money" machines that never see off road.

Attachments

Kohburn

don't want to pry Gimlis, but I'm honestly curious since your build so far is the closest to my current plans for my deuce. how much did it cost you to convert it?

wikallen

Like I said, they can't build a decent trans to save their life. The C6 is a great model, Nissan built their Jatco by copying the same hydraulics, but they quit building C6s back in the 80s because they were not making enough on repairing them. Go figure! Now you have the 4R100W that might last 100k miles, but really needs multiple mods to be considered true HD-gear. GM has the 4L80E that blows away the 4R100W, but that was still not good enough, so now they have Allison doing their transmissions. Like I said, I am a GM man, and just slightly proud of it :razz:

Got to love things that come from fan boys.

I am not a "Ford" man, or a "Chevy" man. I have owned both, but currently just have 3 Fords. My 93 E40D must be a POS as I had to rebuild that tranny at 406k. My 91 Bronco has 160k on a E40D, and my Superduty has 325K on the 4R100. All but the Bronco pulls heavy trailers on a regular basis, and in OD.

Then again, my suburban was on tranny #3 and my old 6.2 was on #4 both just over 200k. Had to run them in 3rd when pulling.

Oh, and I believe the current Ford HD tranny is the 5R110. I do not own one, but a guy I work with has 120K on his. No problems that I know of.

Back on the subject, I believe I saw an article a year or so ago on these campers, and they looked pretty nice inside and out. The price seems high, but look at the price of just a cheaply built toy hauler.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

First of all, the EarthRoamer is pretty neat, and cool......if you have money to burn, time to waste, and trails to get stuck on.:roll: The price is crazy, I don't know how else to say it. I have a hard time understanding why they are back-ordered, as I wouldn't think that many would want one....
M109 is way better IMHO. Just look at UncleMikey, Zout, Jesusgatos, The Gimlis and others.

GIMLIS- do you have a build thread? if not you need one, if so, I wanna see it.[thumbzup]

As to the Ford-Chevy thing---we have always had Fords, with a coupla chevies mixed in only to find they have been crap. Yes, everyone has their crap vehicles once in a while, and "planned obsolecence" make our trucks die at a younger age these days...but FORD is better.
Personally, FORD didn't need the Gooberment Motors bail out money.2cents
Someone (the name escapes me) said that you can Ford a stream, you can Dodge a stream, but a Chevy will sit in a stream and rot.
Another stated that secretly everyone dreams of a Ford truck with a Cummins and an Allison trans....:driver::drool::drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks