• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easiest way to change transmission output shaft seal?

1Sinner

Spicer 3053 overdrive. Can I just pull the jackshaft and input flange and pry the seal out, or is it necessary to pull the output bearing retainer and install the seal from inside the cover? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Welder1

Spicer 3053 overdrive. Can I just pull the jackshaft and input flange and pry the seal out, or is it necessary to pull the output bearing retainer and install the seal from inside the cover? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
If I remember correctly you will have to pull the retainer housing the seal mounts from the inside. You will need to drain the oil first. Make sure you seal the bolt threads they go thru the case and can leak oil if you don’t.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That seal mounts from the outside, so yes it can be pried out and a new one installed after just removing the output flange.
Obviously, having the bearing/seal retainer housing also pulled out, makes it all much easier; especially if you have a small shop press.

There is no need to drain the oil since the max. level is at least 3" below the two bottom screws of that retainer.
If you decided to pull it then yes, use RTV-sealant to seal the (clean & dry) threads of those 4 screws.
You also need the correct thickness paper gasket for that. Reusing the old gasket + RTV on both sides may also work. Do not install without a gasket because it will deform- or even crack the housing!

Welder1

That seal mounts from the outside, so yes it can be pried out and a new one installed after just removing the output flange.
Obviously, having the bearing/seal retainer housing also pulled out, makes it all much easier; especially if you have a small shop press.

There is no need to drain the oil since the max. level is at least 3" below the two bottom screws of that retainer.
If you decided to pull it then yes, use RTV-sealant to seal the (clean & dry) threads of those 4 screws.
You also need the correct thickness paper gasket for that. Reusing the old gasket + RTV on both sides may also work. Do not install without a gasket because it will deform- or even crack the housing!
Ok I stand corrected again it must be the transfer case I was thinking about. I know one of them mounts from the inside.

Eddie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks