• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy 8 Sherman Ops, Pics

No.2Diesel

Hi,

After coming home Friday night from Aberdeen one would think that'd be enough but this past weekend extended those Military Vehicle activities and it was a blast. Our local clubs put together a mini WWII Weekend at the local restoration village which made for a great setting. It was fun to watch and be apart of. I am not a re-enactor but I enjoy transporting and operating the various pieces at events. We brought the M923 and trailer to transport the M8 again.

The museum acquired this piece late last year and this was the first oppurtunity for the Sherman to "run wild" instead of being corralled on the airport ramps. The 1,100cu.in. Ford GAA V8 sounds great and it moves quite well.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

Ripcord01

Beautiful Pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. That tanks is awesome, hold on I am drooling all over my laptop. You got amy more pics of the Ambulance?

No.2Diesel

Sorry I don't have any more of the Ambulance. Its real nice inside, they're pretty neat. They were constructed in the back with s-shaped metal studs with insulated sides. There are brackets to hold litters and a toolbox ahead of the pass. side rear tire. Pretty spartan for an ambulance compared to todays stuff.

I also learned why tankers where goggles haha. Saturday was drier and all the grass clippings dust etc. gets whipped right off the tracks as it winds it way around the drive sprocket and goes right up into your face :eek:

WarrenD

Thanks for posting the pics, that Sherman needs lots of gear hanging off it, looks kinda nekked.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Your absolutely, right it needs more gear! I notice how the front fenders have a nice shelf built in so you can put a plank across like you see in many wartime photos. I always wondered whether this was the intended purpose when the fenders were manufactured... see attached pics.

Warren/anyone else in the neighborhood, if you're interested we're having our big Memorial Day Weekend Airshow over at the museum next weekend. All of the aircraft that participate in the Jones Beach Airshow are staged at the Museum's ramp and access to the aircraft is excellent. If you've never been, it's a great time. There'll be flight/armor activities on Sat/Sun/Mon.

DangerRanger, the trailer is a civy Interstate 10ton with air brakes. I recently converted all the lights to 12-24V LEDs and they are a huge improvement. It has a 34" deck height and has a 21' deck with a 5' beaver tail. I'd like to make ramps that lock over the head board of the trailer and onto the tailgate of the Deuce and 5ton to drive small stuff into the bed safely with a smaller angle instead of from the ground.

Attachments

WarrenD

Hmmm, What is the name and address of the museum? I'll be in Bridgeport this weekend for the Wings and Wheels display (P40, B25) but next weekend looks open....

OB

Hi,

Warren/anyone else in the neighborhood, if you're interested we're having our big Memorial Day Weekend Airshow over at the museum next weekend. All of the aircraft that participate in the Jones Beach Airshow are staged at the Museum's ramp and access to the aircraft is excellent. If you've never been, it's a great time. There'll be flight/armor activities on Sat/Sun/Mon.

Hey No.2 ill be there saturday night for the reception...looking foward to it

No.2Diesel

Captured Pics

Hi,

No that is not the same as the one listed in the classifieds. This one returned from Europe.

There were several WWII Veterans that attended last weekend telling their personal experiences. It was very moving to hear. When you get inside the thing it is very scary to think of what it was like to be in a steel box and essentially have a target painted on your forehead. That took alot of courage and bravery. At the time its what we had and it worked. The Shermans drivetrain is very simple.

The M8 and M20 too, must have been a challenge to for the crews. They were open to the weather (and grenades.) None of the engines heat makes its way forward and it wouldn't matter anyway due to the open top. Surely crews improvised tarpaulin covers for the tops. Speed was their greatest asset.

I don't have any specific info but I gathered up some interesting photos. Lots of equipment changed hands in the confusion and haste of battle and used to the captor's advantage. Here are some more examples of captured M4s

You'll note that the first pic shows the same knocked out/captured Sherman from a different angle as well as the Tank Destroyer crew inspecting their kill. The ones having seperated transmission housings look as if they've been destroyed by their captors as they abandoned them.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks