• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

easy bead breaker

armadillofz1

after a few days of beating the everloving #$%*! out of this tire i had an epiphany.
sledge hammers, tire hammers, thor's hammers. wd40, pb blaster, veggie oil, k-y jelly, etc. ran over it with my truck, shotguns, machetes, even yelled at it.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Volvo? I guess that would be a VERY expensive "bead breaker" if that is all that you used it for? Do you rent it out for tire break down parties?
God bless,

Tony:driver:

Bill W

Dang that worked!!
I tried using the bucket on my front loader to break the bead on my tires and only managed to tear up my front yard., Heck at that point I was contenplating setting the tire(s) on fire and melting it off, thank god common sense ( aka my wife ) kicked in and made me bring them to a tire shop

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$100 is crazy to change a tire. Why couldn't you just take one to a local shop just to break the bead then take it home to dismount. I understand alot of shops don't want to deal with them due to liabilities but if they are just breaking the beads, it shouldn't be any big deal for them to do it.:smile:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it done, safely, sanely, and without personal appendige removal! Definately a win/win situatiion. 100.00? ouch!
God bless,
Tony:mrgreen:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked with my local semi tire shop and they wanted $15 ea to break the bead, I wanted to do a few so I went and spent $90 and bought a duck-billed hammer and it works the best, better than my slide hammer that just about threw out my elbow! I like the heavy equipment idea though!

Bill W

As mentioned
I ended up taking my (5 ) tires to my tires shop and they broke them down for $125 total but the guy told me he would not reassemble them due to his insurance regulations which was fine by me as I wanted to paint them anyway. Reassembly was a piece of cake and I have since rebroken down one of those tires due to a flat, also a piece of cake now that the bead hadn't been seated for the last 20 years!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that could get expensive to say the least. i usually do like 2 tires at a time that way it dont wear me out to bad.. :driver:

wdbtchr

I've used my backhoe to break beads. Swing the boom all the way to one side and brace the tire against the tire/outrigger, that way you don't have to chase it all around the yard digging it up.2cents

Trango

I set the tire underneath the truck, and position a high lift jack so that jacking up the truck helps force the bead down. It may also need a few hammer whacks, but it seems to work!

M813A1

Just look for a Pneumatic/Hydraulic tire bead breaker , it is a nice little unit that will work off of the truck air supply and they do show up on GL in a tire and or hand tool lots every once in a while !!

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to live in Rockmart ga guys comes to to your place takes apart and puts back all for 35.00. just had a 12x20 fixed today.
AEC Retired Tony

66kaiserld1d

yeah just did my first deuce tire today ive done bolt style split rims but nothing with split rings and i work at a shop and the regular tire machine with the pnumatic shovel worked fine and the ring slid right off with a prybar and right back on with my hands with some good force :):grd:

wikallen

Man, that is cheating...... I like it.

I dismounted 22 and remounted 11 last summer with a tire hammer, after the first few, I figured out the sweet spot with my swing. I only had 2 that had me questioning why I decided to take on the project myself. After a while some soapy water and a few swings is all it took for me to break a bead. My biggest issue is I did this during the hottest, most humid days of the summer. I must have drank 5 gallons of water those 2 days.

I probably would do it again myself, just not in July or August.

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Junkyard Dawg

When I was growing up, my families business was the junkyard.

We usually didn't have the proper equipment to do any job, so when I was being taught how to dis/mount tires, running over the bead with the 1 ton wrecker was how breaking the bead was done! aua

Jay