• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

easy/feasible to delete ste/ice-r???

royg

Hi.

I'm wondering if the ste/ice-r system is a standalone wiring harness that could be easily removed?

To me the system is just a bunch of added complexity that I don't need. I'll never have the equipment to use. it If it were simple to ditch, I'd much rather it go away. Like the stupid pressure transducer on the fuel filter, I'll take a gauge any day over some mystery device and wiring.

I've looked through the wiring diagrams in the end of TM 9-2320-280-20-30 and I can't seem to find anything about the ste/ice-r in them. I'm sure it's documented somewhere but I yield. Any of you gentlemen know if it's a separate harness & easily removed?

thanks.

M1165A1

Why not get the STE-ICE equipment? The system is selling quite cheaply on govplanet these days, some have sold for under $100. It's useful to have.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone please post a pic of this mystery tool? I have been reading stuff about it on here but I don’t know what it looks like.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not get the STE-ICE equipment? The system is selling quite cheaply on govplanet these days, some have sold for under $100. It's useful to have.
I would like to know just exactly how useful this device is? I can troubleshoot A LOT... I'm sure FireFox will have a response, but he's way to into electrical stuff, so that doesn't count 😂😂 Love ya man.. Just saying.. WireFox, is that an adage to a Clint Eastwood movie,, LOVED IT !!!

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Been over this a tons of times... so here's my solution. This is a simple back-up to the sometimes questionable dash gauges OIL pressure and add a FUEL pressure gauge. (important IMO when trouble shows up on the road) Dash voltage is relative and more or less go-no go. Temperature more problematic, but doable with a under the hood mechanical type like my photos below. Any real electrical trouble shooting... out comes the digital voltmeter. Faster than messing with the ICE. Any real trouble... UP comes the hood anyway, so quick check on the important stuff is right there easy to see.

OIL and FUEL
IMG_5509.jpg IMG_7279.jpg

The ICE harness is simple, see photo above...But a little bit of a PITA, cawing around to clear it out of the rig. Doesn't hurt or do a thing to keep your rig from being a happy HumV.

Just another government add on $$$$$ where a little up training of GI's to understand operation / how to troubleshoot would have been better IMO. Good thing it wan't a stick shift transmission LOL.

You choice... keep or ditch it.

Cold on the ICE box, CAMO

Last edited:

Action

Been over this a tons of times... so here's my solution. This is a simple back-up to the sometimes questionable dash gauges OIL pressure and add a Fuel pressure gauge. (important IMO when trouble shows up on the road) Dash voltage is relative and more or less go-no go. Temperature more problematic but doable with a under the hood mechanical like my photos below. Any real electrical trouble shooting... out come the digital voltmeter. Faster than messing with the ICE. Any real trouble... UP comes the hood anyway, so quick check on the important stuff is right there easy to see.

OIL and FUEL
View attachment 846760 View attachment 846764

The ICE harness is simple see photo above...But a little bit of a PITA, cawing around to clear it out of the rig. Doesn't hurt or do a thing to keep your rig from being a happy HumV.

Just another government add on $$$$$ where a little up training of GI's to understand operation would have been better IMO. Good thing it wan't a stick shift transmission LOL.

You choice... keep or ditch it.

Cold on the ICE box, CAMO
The ICE...
1633031897416.jpeg

papakb

I've owned my HMMWV for almost 20 years now and have used my STE/ICE once, to see if it worked. The unit is convenient for the auto mechanic that knows little about electronics, or the beginning service member tossed into the 91B category, which is most of them as we see demonstrated on this site far too often. Electrical issues are a world apart from mechanical issues so a great mechanic can be totally lost when it comes to electrical issues and vice versa. Reading a schematic is like reading a road map. Some of us get it right away, some of us never get it.

It isn't going to gain you anything by removing the connector and harness so why bother? If you never use the STE/ICE so what? Do you really NEED another big hole in the transmission tunnel?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I've owned my HMMWV for almost 20 years now and have used my STE/ICE once, to see if it worked. The unit is convenient for the auto mechanic that knows little about electronics, or the beginning service member tossed into the 91B category, which is most of them as we see demonstrated on this site far too often. Electrical issues are a world apart from mechanical issues so a great mechanic can be totally lost when it comes to electrical issues and vice versa. Reading a schematic is like reading a road map. Some of us get it right away, some of us never get it.

It isn't going to gain you anything by removing the connector and harness so why bother? If you never use the STE/ICE so what? Do you really NEED another big hole in the transmission tunnel?
Kurt, was that you a couple of years back with the big hair....hehe

Aha.. YES. Another hole to plug.

Always can use another cup holder, CAMO

Crazyguyla

The STE-ICE is 1970's technology. It was developed to replace older equipment, but really became obsolete with handheld multimeters. The STE-ICE plug could be used as a mini breakout box, but one would have to get the pin outs to know where to put the multimeter probes. The MSD replaced the STE-ICE. If one can score a surplus MSD with all the program disk and adapters, it'll help with trouble shooting.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The STE-ICE is 1970's technology. It was developed to replace older equipment, but really became obsolete with handheld multimeters. The STE-ICE plug could be used as a mini breakout box, but one would have to get the pin outs to know where to put the multimeter probes. The MSD replaced the STE-ICE. If one can score a surplus MSD with all the program disk and adapters, it'll help with trouble shooting.
On the HumV not so sure about that IMO. Fuel pressure, RPM, voltage and current. All important yes. GI ICE with little experience could note the conditions and maybe maybe get to it ??? So I guess it is useful.

IMO, by the time one with a little experience / training / and tricks of the trade... same problem/s would be clearing the problem... before GI ICE got the box out of the tool room and reading over the instruction, find the parts to make it play just to make the test.

HumV is a simple truck. 1970's engineers had to try out something new and IMO "sock it to the gov" with the feature. ICE is not much, MSD not any more for Humv... BUT the start box business... that's was a money maker.

In the field... GI ICE would be lost without the box. Man with multi-meter skills is the Macgyver I want in my squad. Hooah !

OK, Maybe an M984 Wrecker LOL.

With an Oh Pin Yon, CAMO

77374810001_4639873035001_video-still-for-video-4639856903001.jpg

royg

A picture that says it all.

No extra hole in the plans, I'll gut the connector by the shifter and repurpose it to contain USB power jacks. Will be stealthy and the retained cap will keep it pressure washer friendly.

Camo, thanks, yes I already found/did your guage mod. It's actually what started me down this path.

Thankyou all for sharing your knowledge.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
A picture that says it all.

No extra hole in the plans, I'll gut the connector by the shifter and repurpose it to contain USB power jacks. Will be stealthy and the retained cap will keep it pressure washer friendly.

Camo, thanks, yes I already found/did your guage mod. It's actually what started me down this path.

Thankyou all for sharing your knowledge.
Thank you, Brother. (y) (y) ;)

Really is nice to know whats going on under the hood, so to say. A $20 dollar mod takes the guess work out.. Guys will spend more on cup holders LOL. Read all the posts about won't start, coughs, burps and blows smoke, etc. Do you think it's my fuel pump??? Duh. Maybe. Pop the hood and look.

Hood is coming up anyway, CAMO