• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy question re lug nuts

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back I had a problem with someone spiking my tires. Luckily that has been resolved.
No I didn't do what I wanted to do......
When this happened I had a service come out and repair and swap out some wheels I had.
They did a super job. In fact it was so super, I can't free up the lug nuts even with my impact wrench. They are coming out to loosen them up, but here is the question.
The TM says 400 to 450 foot lbs torque. Is this something I should be able to achieve with the standard manual tools? I have the standard issue wrench and even have the standard issue geared wrench for the duals. I figure I should be able to torque these up with the typical
5 foot extension on the bar that fits on the end of these wrenches and get a tight enough fit
Is this right, or should I be using something else?

My concern is getting out on the highway and having to change a wheel and not being able to get the lug nuts off.

Thanks for any tips!

jasonjc

I don't have the old TM for the M135/211 but on page 9-5 of tm 9-2320-361-20 for the M35 it calls for 400-425lb-ft of troque.

Just remeber righty tighty only work on one side for the truck on the other side it lefty tighty :p

A 5 foot bar sholud only need 90lbs put on it to get to the 450lb-ft of troque. And the grear drive wrench is what like a 5 to 1 muiltplyer.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! TM 9-8024 section 259 page page 472
The torque multiplier only seems to work on the square bolts for the inside tires.

DanMartin

OK...the capnuts (inner on a dual wheel) go on at 400-425...the stud nuts go on at 325-355 (outer wheels, front wheels).

*whew*

I was worried...I just bought a torque stick rated at 350lbs/ft for my impact wrench. Since I am singling mine out, I will have basically "front" stud nuts all around (no cap nuts)...tightened to 350lbs/ft with the torque stick. I thought I had misread the specs, but I got it right. :) I would hate to have to order another torque stick..they are about 90 bucks each (but sure take the guesswork out of getting the torque right).

Sorry for the hijack...back to you, Bruce.

butch atkins

how tight aare your nuts

with the issue 30 inch bar and stud/lugnut wrench a200lb man bouncing on it can produce all the torque you will ever need to tighten these nuts,and if you doit yourself you will always be able to change a flat tire if yopu have to,saw an interesting sight at ga mvpa rally ,military air ratchets breaking sockets,5 foot cheater bars bending theissue 30 inch bar and lugnut wrench,double reduction ratchets couldnt break the nuts loose,moral of the story,ONLY USE THE ISSUE BAR ,STUD/ LUGNUT WRENCH WHEN TORQUEING YOUR LUGNUTS/STUDS,OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REMOVE THEM WHEN YOU HAVE TO,next question ,tm 9-8024,page 472 pharagraph 259 inner nuts 400to 450 ft lbs,outer lugnuts the same,never let anyone put a 1inch drive air ratchet and socket to tighten your lug nuts,the military issued a WRENCH ,ORD PART # 7950644,and a HANDLE,wheel brng adj,and wheel stud/ lug nut wrench 3/4 in in dia,30 in long,ORD # 41-h 1541-10,fed stk # 5120-243-2419,page 7 ,ORD 7 SNL G-749,JUST HAD TO CHIME IN ON THIS ONE ,GOOD LUCK TO ALL ON THEIR PROJECTS

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of those Characters will over tighten them with their 1" drive impacts. You will have to literally bounce on the 5' cheeter bar, and still not be able to break them loose. You tighten them with your cheeter, till they "Pop". That is tight enough.

Lee in Alaska

kx250m1

I had to change a few tires on mine, broke my 3/4 inch breaker bar, good thing it was a craftsman, while looking around my farm I found an old lugnut wrench and about a 2 foot bar that came from 1 of our old chevy c-60 grain trucks, It is an amazing feeling jumping up and down on the bar waiting for the pop, almost falling, then being completely elated when it breaks free, only 17 more lug nuts to go, it is quite an experience changing these tires.

just to let you know what happened, I ran over a fence post stake which was broken off about 2 inches above ground, it popped a hole in the front driverside tire, and both outside tires on the driver side rear axles, thankfully I did not have a flat the day before while picking it up, as all I had with was the breaker bar, it cost me 150 to get the three tires fixed, that is 10 percent of what I paid for the whole truck

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Napa and got the truck 4 way lug wrench. It has 3 nut sizes and the square head. Little pricey at $ 80.00 but you can put the torque to it at 27 '' across.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i took the tires off the 819 to fix the broke torque rod, i used a longgggggggg cheater pipe. broke a stud, a 3/4 ratchet, two 3/4 extensions. the lug nuts might be a bit tight.
what size hose you using with the 1" gun, it needs a 1/2" with a lot of volume

Nonotagain

I'm definitely NOT using a 1/2" hose. I'm using 3/8", I believe. So, the gun should probably be enough if I get a bigger hose?
1/2" diameter air hose or larger is recommended with 90 psi of air pressure.

Driver’s side lugs are left hand thread. As stated pull towards the back of the truck if using a breaker bar, or just reverse directions from what you used for the passengers side.

I have a Snap-on 3/4" breaker bar that is 4' long. Using a quality socket and a 6" extension I just rotate the socket till the breaker bar is two feet off the ground and then just jump in the bar.

Your 1" CP impact gun should break them loose with 3/8" air no problems.

You said Harbor Freight correct? If it's a HF gun is not a Chicago Pneumatic gun but a Central Pneumatic gun, Chinese junk.

Nonotagain

Yes, I meant to say Central Pneumatic. I just bought it. Should I return it and go somewhere else for something different?
Take it and the truck with the correct sized sockets back to HF and see if by using their air compressor it will break the lugs loose.

If it won't then they have you reason for return.

tm america

when i got my truck one of the wheels was way way over torqued. i tried an 8ft cheater pipe on a 1 inch ratchet no luck.i tried my 3/4 inch impact running a 1/2inch hose and 175psi still nothing .pb blaster nothing heated em up still no luck .i ended up haing my buddy who is a tire guy come over with his service truck it has 250 psi 1/2 inch hose and we still had to use a 1 1/4 inch spline drive inpact to get them off .i didnt know you could get them that tight without breaking them off .his impact is rated at over 2000ft pounds .now i just put them on with my 1/2inch impact and then i know i can get them off with my 3/4 inch impact:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks