• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Economical turn signal flasher repair option

papakb

On my last outing the turn signal flasher died in the middle of the Veterans Day parade. I didn't have another one on the shelf so I went looking for a solution. What I found was a 12-24v flasher unit from Grote (44010) that will work with both regular lamps and LED lights up to 12 amps which should be plenty of current for our vehicles. The best price was on Amazon at $29 with 2 day delivery. This is what I did when I received it.

Here's the flasher and the gutted Nartron flasher unit:

Grote1.jpg

Make sure not to cut the pins coming into the case from the 3 pin connector. You need to solder the wires back onto them.

Remove the heatshrink from the wires on the flasher and cut the leads to about a 3" length and tin the ends of the wires:

Grote2.jpg

Solder the cables like this:

Grote3.jpg

a is the flasher output (green)
b is power in (red)
c is ground (black)

Here's the finished flasher. It could be potted with RTV for waterproofing if necessary:

Grote4.jpg

Final cost was about $32 and an hours work. When it's remounted it will look exactly like the original because the Grote flasher is on the top side of the original one behind the dash.

Kurt

Last edited:

Jakelc15

That's awesome. My flasher died a few months ago. Truck-lite makes the replacement but was unavailable from my local supplier. And was also very expensive if he could have gotten it.
I was wondering if I could gut the factory flasher and save the connector.
Thanks for posting.

papakb

That's exactly what I did here. The Nartron flashers are pretty easy to gut, I haven't tried any of the other models out there. I've ordered a couple of the connectors that mate with the wiring harness connector that can be put directly onto the flashers wires then all you would need would be to make a mounting bracket for the flasher. I'll do another post with that information when I finish it.

Kurt

BBQROD

I went to the parts store and bought a 12v electronic flasher the one with three prongs input+ Lamp output+ and Negative Ground I connected everything by the book except for the ground on the flasher. I connected the ground of the flasher to a dash light bulb socket, a GM plugin type from the mid 80s. The bulb measured around 8 ohms resistance with my volt ohm meter. you connect one leg of the bulb to the flasher negative and the other leg to ground (chassis or cab) the bulb being in series absorbs the extra 12 volts that the flasher electronics does not want. my M35A2 has been blinking away with no problem.

papakb

If you look up under the dashboard everything looks stock. The original connector is still attached to the flasher unit and no one can tell that what's installed is a better component.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can just buy a standard automotive blinker relay in 24V.

2 or 3 terminal.

Tridon eg-22 or eg-23
OK, question.

The factory relay on our trucks have 3 circuits: constant power in, flashing power out and ground.

It appears the relay you spec'd (EG23) has 3 pins: a constant feed in, a trigger from presumably a turn signal switch and a flashing power output.

See:

Flasher Quick Reference

B, X, + 49 = Battery (Power Input)
C2 = Hazard Switch Ground
E - 31 = Ground
H = Hazard Switch
I = Ignition
L, 49a = Load
P = Pilot Lamp
S = Sense

EG23 Bottom.jpg

Or:

z-EG23 cir.jpg

So does anyone know of a part # for a civvy 24V flasher with three pins, for ground, power in and flashing power out?

Gracias

C

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is how that one works, and the other one simply does not need a ground at all. (power in, flashing power out)

I've been using them for some time now, and they work well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the schematic, the portion I boxed in red is representing your turn signal switch(left and right option).

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the eg-22, it eliminates ground failures at the relay mount.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To further clarify, if you choose to use the EG-23 flasher, the terminal connections are as follows.

relay X-input, truck wire number 167, flasher plug letter B
relay P- Ground, truck wire number 90, flasher plug letter C
relay L- flashing output, truck wire number 19A, flasher plug letter A

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More part number for the same relay

Replaces:
Buss 234
Carquest FSH23
Grote 44860
Littelfuse FLR234
Napa EG23
Tridon EG23
Signal Stat 121
Trucklite 263-4
Hella 87723

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome post.

Re-activating to ask:

Will any of these relays activate and work with LED light assemblies?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Awesome post.

Re-activating to ask:

Will any of these relays activate and work with LED light assemblies?
The grote flasher is pretty cheap and work well. You just have to remove the light bulb from the turn signal lever itself and replace it with an LED otherwise the turn signals won't work with that bulb in and everything else is an LED.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To replace the light on the turn signal to allow LED lights and indicators to work

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
depends on which turn signal you have. There are several different variants out there. Won't know till you open it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks