• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Educate me on the dump...the M929 / M930

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
btw- what is the hydraulic set up for a M929? I heard the hydraulics for a M925 (or any other M939's with winch) is too low pressure to operate the hoist on the M929 so curious about the system. And really curious then how the M930 (dump w/winch) is set up on the hydraulics. I know the previous generation 5-tons (M52, etc) used a self-contained hydraulic system that was pto driven off the transfer case.

fasttruck

Reference post 38: This seems to be an excellent idea to bend the tailgate and blow the seals out of the lift pistons. The technique is definitely not described in the applicable TM. If you don't want to dump a load of gravel in a pile and spread it out with a loader; rig the chains on the tailgate to limit the opening of the gate when in the top hinge position and walk the truck forward with the body up and spread the load out.

Attachments

fasttruck

The technique illustrated in post 42 is described in the applicable TM. Example shown is a M817WW and the TM is 9-2320-260-10. M39 and 900 series dumps are similar.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s a couple shots of the M929 dump hoist system. They use a dual cylinder design with a roller ramp system to assist with the initial lifting, which is the hardest part.

I had a fellow tell me the rear tailgate in ”rock” position is designed to be able to knock down the dumped pile while backing up. That’s also why the bed dumps at such a steep angle. I have not confirmed this ad I don’t have a manual. Anyone able to verify that?
It looks like there is a safety latch, to hold the bed down in transit in assume. Is the 929 the only one with that, or do the m51 and m817 have those also?

DeMilitarized

(Sorry I don't know if this is the correct thread for this question but) I want to install a m817 bed on a m931a2. It comes with all the cylinders and secondary frame. Could I use a 24 volt hydraulic pump to run it? If so what pressures or gpm/gph? Also would the headache rack clear the cab? (I know it wouldn't clear the intake or exhaust)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
(Sorry I don't know if this is the correct thread for this question but) I want to install a m817 bed on a m931a2. It comes with all the cylinders and secondary frame. Could I use a 24 volt hydraulic pump to run it? If so what pressures or gpm/gph? Also would the headache rack clear the cab? (I know it wouldn't clear the intake or exhaust)
Shorten the intake pipe.

Could use a stand alone electric pump. Yanmar l70 would run it fine. Its a diesel motor. You need 2000 or 2500psi

Gpm= speed of the unit.

Electric unit will be slow

tobyS

I'm a little confused on what Glennengineer used for the pump. I thought it is the Muncie that has a 15 tooth spline but his post says it's 13 tooth spline. My Muncie pump I mounted was a 15 tooth spline so it is possible his pump is a little smaller. I have both the 13 and 15 tooth spline kits surplus, listed in the classified....(I had to go back to a 9 spline for my pressure comp pump). Here is his thread.

My Muncie Pump was used on a sawmill.

Last edited:

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to install a m817 bed on a m931a2. It comes with all the cylinders and secondary frame. Could I use a 24 volt hydraulic pump to run it? If so what pressures or gpm/gph? Also would the headache rack clear the cab? (I know it wouldn't clear the intake or exhaust)
Does the M817 bed have the built in pump that is run by a PTO? If so, why not attach a 24V motor (like a starter) to the pump shaft in order to operate the bed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks