• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Education in Paint

cten

The truck seems to have been desert color at one time(possible primer?) and is now (3)color camo.

Is this called CARC?

Is it called NATO 383?

I want to know, so I can purchase the right type of paint and colors.

Good part is I only have to do touch ups and some window frames.

The paint seems to have a little texture to it. Does this help describe things enough?

Thanks,

rdixiemiller

A lot of these trucks have many layers of paint. Westech found 9 layers on his. Most of the older paint was an alkyd enamyl, with a lot of flattening paste to kill the gloss. From what I have seen, a good cleaning was all the prep work that was done before spraying on another coat. I believe the CARC paint included a stencil inside the door that gave the year it was applied, some of the others on this list may be able to shed some light on that. Take a dab of laquer thinner and rub an inconspicuous spot. CARC will get clean, enamel will start to wrinkle a bit and peel off. CARC is nothing more than a 1K or 2K automotive polyurethane paint, with flattening agents and some Infrared absorptive materials.
Regards
Robert Miller

MVtrucker

The Desert Tan and 3-color are almost certainly CARC. Use a very good respirator if you sand it. You can use Gillespie Coatings CARC color enamel for repainting, available in spray cans.

MVtrucker

Gillespi has a close #383. The green in the 3-color pattern is #383. Krylon has Ultra Flat Black that works good in the 3-color. If your paint is faded, you won't get an exact match, but it'll work.

McGuyver

The "383" NATO colors are:

34094 Green

37030 black

30051 Brown

The numbers are the FS 595A color number. The military carries these as CARC paints (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) which are essentially an automotive polyurethane paint with a matte finish and controls placed on its sprectral reflectivity to reduce IR signature to something similar to that of brush, earth, trees, and foliage (I believe this is accomplished by adding carbon to the paint.) They are called chemical agent resistant because the polyurethane does not absorb or adsorb chemicals readiliy like some other paints do (such as the old alkyd enamel paint) thus simplifying decontamination of the vehicles after a chemical attack. (just wash them down and go.)

You can have these paint color numbers mixed up in other kinds of paint like Alkyd enamel (this is what Gilespie Coatings offers.) or an acrylic enamel (Aervoe offers an acrylic/styrene modified alkyd blend) if you're concerned about the hazards associated with painting with polyurethane paints. Or I'm sure you could have a professional Automotive paint shop do it for you in CARC since they will likely have the skill and be equiped with the necessary fresh air respiratory hoods and other equipment needed to do the job right.

From what I understand, the polyurethane paints are the most durable, with acrylic next and alkyd enamel the least. And since alkyd paint can absorb stuff more readily, I have some questions about how well it prevents corrosion of the metal underneath.

cten

Thanks McGuyver, this was exactly what I was looking for.

I almost feel like I hit a google search engine with the detailed answer.

I did not even know what CARC stood for.

If you were local I'd buy you a cold one.

Thanks for the edjucation everyone as this clears things up a lots.

Regards,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks