• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Effer knuckleboom for the M923

SsgLattig

Just picked up this effer knuckleboom or the M923 yesterday. I plan I mounting it forward of the bed, hopefully leaving the spare tire & muffler where they are, but we'll see how that works out. Also noted things that may need to move are the fuel tank, toolboxes, & air tanks to make room for the tank on the passenger side if I do move it. The outriggers to extend out so I might be able to just slide them out slightly and leave it alone, for now.
One thing I was impressed with was my 1/2 ton dodge's ability to make the 5 hour trip home with no issues at all.
I tried to upload pics with the post but I'm mobile now so if they dost upload I'll do it later. I'm sure someone will busy none for no pics anyway.
Would love to hear any thoughts, or anyone else's projects that are similar. I have seen a few on here that are awesome....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice but you do realize it won't work right until it is painted green right?

;-)

SsgLattig

SWEET! What are the specs on it? Reach and lift?
Thank you. Well, the model is an 11500, with 2 hydraulic extensions and hydraulic out & downriggers. The max extension is 11.9m which is approximately 38.675 feet. That's at 75 degrees and at 11.9m it will lift 1250kg, wich is approx 2750 lbs. Extended to the side horizontally with the extensions all the way out, which is 8.63m (28.5 ft) it is rated at 1250kg as well. With the extensions all the way in at the inner-most lifting point which is 6.4m, it's rated at 4000kg (8800 lbs) which is basically what it will left from right next to the truck up onto the bed.
I'm still working on getting the bed slid back so I can set it up on the truck and see what I need to move, if anything. I'll post more pics of it once I get it up there & the process to do that. Anything else you guys want to know just ask, & I'll try to check this a little sooner!
Thanks for the support!

aheilmann68

Looks like a good plan you have. Want to do a bobbed 2 1/2 or a bobbed 5 ton with a KB. Where in Morris County are you, i'm over in the Butler Kinnelon Area

I am also working on a knuckle boom M923. I have a HIABB 070 thats going on it. I am in the painting proccess now. I have already cut the bed down 20" to make room for the KB. I will also need to build a sub frame to get the crane to clear the transfer case. I hope to be mounting the crane up next weekend. I am in North Haledon if any body wants to stop by just shoot me a PM.

SsgLattig

That would be cool! I want to build a bobber hotrod just for a daily driver/rolling billboard for the biz! I'm by Morristown/Denville, but I keep all my "stuff" out by Tewksbury.

SsgLattig

I am also working on a knuckle boom M923. I have a HIABB 070 thats going on it. I am in the painting proccess now. I have already cut the bed down 20" to make room for the KB. I will also need to build a sub frame to get the crane to clear the transfer case. I hope to be mounting the crane up next weekend. I am in North Haledon if any body wants to stop by just shoot me a PM.
Awesome! So you're forward mounting yours too then. I considered rear mounting mine, but I like the ability to have it out of the way. I also don't want to cut my bed down, but I have to slide it back to see how it's going to look & I might have no choice. Are you keeping your spare tire mounted behind the cab & any thoughts on moving the exhaust? I thought about moving the spare tire & running the exhaust underneath like a typical medium duty dump truck if it's that much in the way. Also, are you running a PTO driven pump or running a pony engine? I'm doing a pony set up to cut down on operating costs & wear on the engine. I'd love to check out your project & compare notes, & if you want to see mine too just let me know.

I am running a pony motor. The spare tire rack is gone and will keep the tire in the bed. I couldn't use the rack anyways as I am going to be running 16R20s. As for the exhaust I will be adding a turbo to the engine and running it straight piped. I got 2 air intake pipe mounts from members parting out thier trucks and will mount the exhaust stack mirrored to the intake stack. Pm me for contact info and we can set up a time for you to come checkit out.

SsgLattig

I am running a pony motor. The spare tire rack is gone and will keep the tire in the bed. I couldn't use the rack anyways as I am going to be running 16R20s. As for the exhaust I will be adding a turbo to the engine and running it straight piped. I got 2 air intake pipe mounts from members parting out thier trucks and will mount the exhaust stack mirrored to the intake stack. Pm me for contact info and we can set up a time for you to come checkit out.
That sounds really awesome! Good idea for the exhaust too! I will end up with 16r20's also. I may get some MRAP wheels/tires depending on the availability. I'd love to hear about the turbo addition too. Are you using a turbo & aftercooler from a 6CTA engine, or something fun like a big cam 400? What I did learn from my years as a diesel engine tech is that turbo engines have piston cooling jets and I don't think these NTC's do. I'm sending you a PM so we can link up some time.

SsgLattig

5Ton frame 1.jpg5Ton frame 2.jpg5Ton frame 3.jpg

Here's the lates thing I've done. Not much progress I know, but time is very limited & I've been trying to make money working lol! I will have to push the bed back a little bit, not sure exactly how far yet, but since they don't have typical u-bolt style body bolts, i'll have to cut the brackets off the body when I slide it & re-weld them on when I get it to where I want it. One of my Army buds in my unit was going to help me with a crane truck to lift it for me, but his wife recently had a baby so he's too busy. If anyone has a crane truck or knows someone that can help me out without charging me a ton I definitely need the help. All I need is to lift it up, & set it on the frame. I'll do the rest.

TehTDK

I think the Effer's are pretty sick. Saw someone offloading with a 850 yesterday and it had a sick reach. But you could see the end sagging a bit when it was fully extended. I snapped a few pictures since I haven't seen a knuckleboom with that kind of reach before, but then again the only booms I had seen before that one was HIAB's

SsgLattig

Yeah they can get out to 150' plus, and pick serious loads at that height. In the states we're used to stick booms because we can maneuver them on our streets, but knucklebooms dominate in Europe. I think the sagging doesn't look strong, but it's like a Mack truck, built with a bunch of small parts in the front end, but somehow they hold together. Mine only has 2 hydraulic extensions, but that takes it out to about 34', which hopefully will be all I need. I also have a log grapple that I picked up for free from a friend and will make a quick attatch set up so that I can fold the KB down and out of the way, & hook up the grapple when I need it. Hopefully I'll have this **** KB on the truck in the next week! I hate waiting on people! Anyone here have a crane truck or know someone in the area that would be willing to help for a little compensation?