• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGT pyrometers what and where

Skrilex

Banned
Well I figure whatever I end up using for power on my m998 I will need a pyrometer. What have people used that fits the style and where did you mount it? The dash cluster looks fairly cramped to put another 2" gauge. I have a nice digital one on my Ford but it looks a little too tron for the old hmmwv.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put Glowshift gauges in my 5 ton. They are 2" gauges and have 7 colors I think that you can choose to match the light on your factory gauges. I will use them in the hmmwv as soon as I get time to get them.

20170916_163910.jpg
20170916_163920.jpg

Last edited:

ryanruck

Like you, I wasn't too thrilled about the pyrometer offerings out there but after some searching, I found a style on eBay that really matches the look and feel of the factory gauges being a mechanical gauge with black background and white needle/text.

20170705235258-09bd13fb-me.jpg

It's a 2" gauge and I mounted it next to my tach on top of the dash in an AutoMeter 2204 pod. Installed it about a year ago. I added the green LED backlight. It comes with just a regular white incan.

It is 12v so I added an ignition switched 24v relay that is pulling 12v to supply it.

Do a search for "Pyrometer 0-1600 thermocouple" on eBay and you can find it. The first one I got, the thermocouple wasn't working and the seller sent me a whole new kit which has been working great since.

With the thermocouple, it does come down to personal preference where you want it but, I installed it at the Y in the crossover pipe so I'm getting a reading on both cylinder banks.

20170705235255-392ba703-me.jpg

It's not as close to the prop shaft as it looks in the pic. The crossover has since been wrapped in titanium thermal wrap although, in hindsight, I should have done that before I put the new crossover in but, unfortunately, I didn't think about it until after.

Skrilex

Banned
Like you, I wasn't too thrilled about the pyrometer offerings out there but after some searching, I found a style on eBay that really matches the look and feel of the factory gauges being a mechanical gauge with black background and white needle/text.

View attachment 699595

It's a 2" gauge and I mounted it next to my tach on top of the dash in an AutoMeter 2204 pod. Installed it about a year ago. I added the green LED backlight. It comes with just a regular white incan.

It is 12v so I added an ignition switched 24v relay that is pulling 12v to supply it.

Do a search for "Pyrometer 0-1600 thermocouple" on eBay and you can find it. The first one I got, the thermocouple wasn't working and the seller sent me a whole new kit which has been working great since.

With the thermocouple, it does come down to personal preference where you want it but, I installed it at the Y in the crossover pipe so I'm getting a reading on both cylinder banks.

View attachment 699596

It's not as close to the prop shaft as it looks in the pic. The crossover has since been wrapped in titanium thermal wrap although, in hindsight, I should have done that before I put the new crossover in but, unfortunately, I didn't think about it until after.
thanks for the pics! Yeah I thought the probe needed to be closer to the heads than where you have it to be accurate. What temps do you see on it? I have the one in my truck right at the back end of the cast iron manifold and I see 1200° from time to time.

ryanruck

thanks for the pics! Yeah I thought the probe needed to be closer to the heads than where you have it to be accurate. What temps do you see on it? I have the one in my truck right at the back end of the cast iron manifold and I see 1200° from time to time.
Considering the short distance, I'd be very surprised if there's any appreciable temp loss between the manifold and the crossover Y, especially with the exhaust wrap. The folks at the shop that welded in the bung for me didn't say anything about potential inaccuracy when I told them where I wanted it and they've been doing auto repair for a very long time.

I've hit 1200ish a time or two failing to keep a closer eye on inclines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks