• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EGT reads 900 at WOT going up hill

shannondeese

Going up hill at WOT the EGT reaches 900. At idle it's right under 300. She's bobbed and running 395's. Unless I have a tail wind or going down hill she only reaches 50 MPH indicated for a total of 55 MPH. I am thinking of turning up the fuel. I am seeking opinions on the subject. I figure there's plenty of room for more fuel with the EGT so low. Thanks for the opinions.

dittle

Being bobbed you're pulling less weight than a stock deuce so you should be able to go some. You might try bypassing your FDC before playing with the fuel settings and see what that gets you. If you don't like the results its easy to go back to using the FDC and then you can play with the fuel setting.

dittle

Yes you can. The MF engine will still burn anything you put through it that would burn with the FDC bypassed as it would with the FDC hooked up. That being said you may notice a power variance if your blend changes a lot due to the FDC not being there. The FDC basically regulates fuel deliver based on the viscosity of the fuel. I'm running diesel through my MF right now with the FDC bypassed but have mixed in ATF with the diesel every now and then.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with dittle, your engine is hardly loaded down.
Under full load, you'll notice a difference based on fuel even and 1,200 degrees would easily be reached on a long uphill incline.
Biofuels will give you lower EGTs.

Glad so many are installing pyros now, makes for interesting statistics...

tm america

i would change the fuel filters first. then make sure the air filter is clean. and also make sure the fuel line is not smashed under the radiator. then if all these are good i would turn the fuel up . and yes you can still run almost anything for fuel even with the fdc bypassed.

Nonotagain

i would change the fuel filters first. then make sure the air filter is clean. and also make sure the fuel line is not smashed under the radiator. then if all these are good i would turn the fuel up . and yes you can still run almost anything for fuel even with the fdc bypassed.
+1

Check or replace the filters first.

As for turning the screw up, since you know that you are only seeing 900 on a long pull, you should be safe going up to 1125-1150 without issue provided that you are being supplied fuel via an un-restricted fuel system.

Gastrap

You have plenty of room for improvement.

I turned mine up last year using the procedure in the LDS TM & then installed a pyro pre turbo. I can hit 1200 with WOT accellerating up a grade after awhile, but I dont need WOT anymore to maintain 55 on hills:-D ( yes, we have some pretty lumpy ground in this part of Iowa ) I try to keep it 1150 or less.

Lots of smoke & real peppy!

shannondeese

I turned the screw today and took her for a long drive. I turned it 3/16 of an inch out. The power change was amazing. It felt like a whole new truck. I'm pouring black smoke when I bump the throttle then it clears up. Under load in 5th she's still not hitting the 1000 mark, close but not there yet. I'm happy where it's at though. At idle its still at 300 too. Thanks for all the advice.

helmethair78

I need to turn up my fuel. I can't hit 800 empty. I installed my probe just upstream of the turbo. Just one more thing for my project list...

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I have a bobber running 14x20 tires. My speedo is off about 20%, and have had it GPS verified at 72 mph twice, and regularly cruise at 65-67 mph. Even going fishing last week I was pulling my M105 trailer full of firewood and could run 65 easily on the flats. I don't have an EGT in it yet though, but it's all stock as far as I know.

SpyDad

Proper EGT location

I need to turn up my fuel. I can't hit 800 empty. I installed my probe just upstream of the turbo. Just one more thing for my project list...

Guys, this thread has got my attention.. where is the best place to put an EGT gauge and is there any specific type or model that is better than another? Are they difficult to install? Would I need to be sure I got one that would handle a 24v system?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, this thread has got my attention.. where is the best place to put an EGT gauge and is there any specific type or model that is better than another? Are they difficult to install? Would I need to be sure I got one that would handle a 24v system?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Pic is thanks to Bjorn aka cranetruck
This seem to be the most are going with. I was told one inch from the exhaust port on head to get true reading from cyl. 1200*

Attachments

powerhouseduece

where is the best place to put an EGT gauge and is there any specific type or model that is better than another? Are they difficult to install? Would I need to be sure I got one that would handle a 24v system?

Just be sure to get a K-type Pyro. Issopro seems to be the Fad around here.