• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric brakes on 101a2 and 1101

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean spindle.
90B39CC5-0B07-494A-9BC7-CFC5978372B2.jpg
Brake Part numbers. Labeled left and right.
8FF8005C-0D27-4164-B28E-9F1FA6FD50DF.jpg
Now is a good time to step back from the trailer and see which side the tongue is on. You know, so you don’t put the brake on the wrong side like I did. Just FYI
73158A65-9F73-49EE-90C1-CFCDA57BB208.jpg
Here we go, glad I caught it before I put the hub on.
8A7178E6-9176-4DFD-88C0-E2CF69D69E36.jpg
Once the inner bearing was packed and set into the inner hub race and grease seal was pressed into place, the hub slid on to the spindle with one good push once I was sure it was lined up. Washer, castle nut and castle nut cap on, cotter pin in, tap the cap on and done!
626C67D8-4598-42B6-BA7A-E9E8B1F650EF.jpg
Hub rotated freely, can hear a little drag, but I suspect they will seat just fine after their self adjusting stage which is something like 40 cycles of braking from 40 mph to 20 mph with time to cool in between.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brakes have two wires, both are white. One needs to be connnected to the (usually) blue brake wire. The other needs to be connected to a clean ground. I am going to run completely new wiring on mine later so I have not hooked the wiring up yet.
86215A0E-6FB7-4206-B7EB-A06698A3C993.jpg
You can see the lever for the parking brake on back. I need new cables, so I have not attempted this yet. Anyone who has, by all means, please share your experience.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine handled two tons of gravel no sweat.
Is that about two yards? Or a little less than 2 yards? Depends on the stone and size too I guess. Wet sand and gravel mix I think is about 3200-3400 lbs/yd depending on size. I have a quarry on my ranch and needed that info for my dump bed I made. That’s the only info I stored in my head. :)

4000lbs should be a walk in the park for these trailers. The hubs, tires wheels are the same 7k rated gear. The springs, they look a little weak for 7k, I don’t have either of my 14k GVWR trailers here to compare it to. But, all the gear is similar to 7k gear, so they should be able to handle 2 yards of gravel with ease.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that about two yards? Or a little less than 2 yards? Depends on the stone and size too I guess. Wet sand and gravel mix I think is about 3200-3400 lbs/yd depending on size. I have a quarry on my ranch and needed that info for my dump bed I made. That’s the only info I stored in my head. :)

4000lbs should be a walk in the park for these trailers. The hubs, tires wheels are the same 7k rated gear. The springs, they look a little weak for 7k, I don’t have either of my 14k GVWR trailers here to compare it to. But, all the gear is similar to 7k gear, so they should be able to handle 2 yards of gravel with ease.
Not sure how yards equates to weight.
Definitely depends on material.
1-3/4” gravel is what I buy.
The scale at the yard is what I was going off of.

As the front end loader was dumping the gravel, I was watching the springs and axle bumpers.
When it was close to where I wanted it, I would signal the driver and he stopped the dumping.
It was crude but very consistent between loads.

Trailer towed and stopped like a dream.
M1008A1 did just fine getting it going.
Very happy

Last year my brother loaded up my tan 101 with damp dirt.
Got distracted and looked over and he had trailer really full.
Springs were flat and frame sitting hard on bumpers.
E rated tires were struggling.
Drove around ranch and filled up coyote and rabbit holes, etc until all dirt gone.
Trailer came back 100%
Zero Damage.

Absolutely amazing trailers.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up....those brakes are not self adjusting, you will have to do it.
Well, I'll be. You are right. All the brakes I have put in my basket at eTrailer have been never adjust Dexter Brakes and I bought these and assumed they were. "Never go full re..." I mean never assume anything!

Left side may not need any adjustment. The drag is so slight, I can only hear some noise. One trip around the block and it could wear off the burrs that are causing the slight drag. The left wheel rotates freely, spins forever (for all practical purposes).

Thanks for the heads up!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the most useful books I have. Bought it before Mr. Google was very popular and phones had internet. It’s posing with one of my favorite pig slaying machines, for size reference. And because both were on my desk.
B371CF0D-194D-4C99-9D03-B085EE69B6AC.jpg
Has everythig from weight of steel, weight of gravel, welding rod info, trigonometry function, bolt torque info, periodic table, tire size codes, International phone codes, friction pressure loss for pipes, even says that the Zimbabwe dollar is worth 8:1 on the US$. Well, that part is fluid, since it soared to over 1,000,000:1 but the rest is static. Almost everything a guy like us might need to know is in this book. It’s a must have.
9E2FF2B6-6770-4042-82D3-F224307BFF55.jpg
Anyway. That’s where I got my info.

FYI on weight of wet and dry gravel. This is pretty rough as limestone would probably weigh more than other gravel, but this may help in future projects. The last column is weight per yard.
A0BAA195-6502-4A5D-A4FC-F27F371C5BC3.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Something else I found extremely helpful is a tongue jack with a wheel. I just mounted one on mine and I love it. I can roll it around on gravel no problems.
Exactly! I got a cheap one from Harbor Fright and it's one of the best purchases I have made. Makes life much easier in many ways. Hitching and unhitching the trailer is now a one-man job, safely. I would not be without that tongue jack

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks