• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric fan and tiny tach

panzerwillie

Ok so i told my self no more gagets in the M1009, wrong, being kiking around putting electric fan on the cucv and a tack, so finally i did it a few weeks ago, i use the electric fans that come on the red dot A/C kits from the HMMWV from the condenser, all i had to do was trim 1/2 inch from both sides and is a perfect set up on the radiator fits real good , using the upper holes on the rasiator i drill 1/4 inch and bolted to the radiator on top and in the bottom welded 2 flatbar 1 ich wide about 2and a 1/4 with a hole to the bottom off the fan metal shroud and bolted it like the top with bolt and nut very eassy. then with a relay i wire both fans which are 24 volts and using a temp switch wich comes on at 176 degerees and off at 166 degrees to the ground of the relay plus i have a override switch inside, they are mainly off on the HWY and turn on and off in the city, you have to use a external oil cooler which i did about a year ago any ways because of the flush mount of the electric fans. as far as the tach is being cover here before easy mout runs about 2300 rpm at 65MPH with a ligth load on the pedal the converter is a little loose i guess it feels the 60k plus it has may do i 700R4 i got complete with T/C will see here are some pictures...
fan 008.jpg

fan 009.jpg

fan 012.jpg

fan 011.jpg

fan 013.jpg

fan 018.jpg

fan 019.jpg

fan 015.jpg

fan 024.jpg

WackoJacko85

Thanks for the great electric fan info and pics. I was wondering what condenser you used? I ask since your using fans from a HMMWV red dot AC kit. I'm doing some more research before I start my "M1009 rebuild" adding a turbo, TinyTach, A/C with electric fans among other things I will be doing.

shorad93

OK. You've just given me some inspiration. I've started an A/C transplant from a donor Blazer and almost done. new condenser, hoses, compressor, etc. I'm almost done transplanting the duct work and am now to the point for how to install the a/c compressor. I saw the picture above where it looks like both alternators are located on the right side. This is exactly what i need to do to my M1009 (move left alt to make space for stock a/c bracket). Are your brackets stock or aftermarket? Can you post some closer pix of the lower alternator bracket?

panzerwillie

It starter with a M1010 main bracket and i just made the rest, it maybe easier just to do 12 volt set up and just run one alternator or run a 24 volt alternator and use a step down voltage for your 12 volt [thumbzup] but if you in pembroke pines come by towershops friday and you can see and take all the pictures you need.......

Skinny

If I was you, I would keep it 24v and use a single 24v alternator. Use the transformer to step down to 12v for the cab. I would convert anything that uses high current to a 24v system like the headlamps and glow plugs.

donalloy1

It starter with a M1010 main bracket and i just made the rest, it maybe easier just to do 12 volt set up and just run one alternator or run a 24 volt alternator and use a step down voltage for your 12 volt [thumbzup] but if you in pembroke pines come by towershops friday and you can see and take all the pictures you need.......
panzerwillie, where did you go for positive pulse for Tiny Tach and how accurate is it? Really want to ask Santa for one and want to do it right! DMLII sends...

stranger75

That looks like a proper set up! A/C and turbo with intact 24V system are what so many cucv owners seem to want in their trucks. I know I do. I'm planning on installing a Banks turbo which utilizes the passenger side of the engine bay. I have been wondering how I could fit the turbo, 2 batteries, 2 alternators, and an A/C compressor all under the same hood. What you have done here is nice work. How is the electric fan working out? any noticeable difference?

panzerwillie

They are your standar redstone A/C condenser fan from the HMMWV kit i belive 16" and i put the the fan thermostat for turning on the fans on the cross over pipe more less where the thermostat housing is and also has a in cab switch to over ride it and turn on the fans as wanted...

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude! (panzeville) you look to be a first class fabricator! My hat's off the ya'! (bow) Been following some of your threads and learning about stuff that I only previously imagined doing--- BRAVISIMO!!!